Restore old back ups: OSX 10.4 - Retro 6.1.138 - HP DAT 24 USB

Will the following allow me to restore files from back ups made with Retrospect 5.0 and earlier?

HP Storageworks USB DAT 24

Mac OSX 10.4.11 on an intel macbook pro

Retrospect 6.1.138

As of right now, Retrospect asks for the tape, but once inserted it is ejected within a few seconds. I do get the spinning gears icon, but only for a few seconds prior to the eject. Tried this with various tapes and backup sets with the same results. Trying to figure out if this is software, hardware or media.

thx-rob

Ok- answered my own question, but created another. The HP Storageworks DAT 24 can read/write DDS1 data, but the USB version of the same drive cannot.

Sure about that? The product specs say it can handle DDS3, DDS2, and DDS (same as DDS1):

Storageworks DAT 24 Specs

Recommended media                        DDS-3 (125m)
Backward read-write compatibility (USB)  DDS-2 (120m)
                                        DDS (60m and 90m)
Recording Format (USB)                   DDS-3, DDS-2, DDS (ANSI/ISO/ECMA)

Your problem may involve a different issue. In another post earlier this week, another Retrospect user has reported the inability to retrieve Retrospect 5 backup data using Retrospect 6.1:

Retrospect 6.1 unable to restore old backups

I seemed to recall that I had made a restore from older DAT tapes about a year ago (they would have been Retrospect 4.x or 2.0 - we never used Retrospect 5, and jumped to Retrospect 6 with the move to OS X), but am not cabled up to test it right now because the DAT drive has SCSI-1, and our current tape drive and autoloader have LVD SCSI. So it may require running Retrospect 5 on a Mac Classic (OS 9) machine.

Russ

Edited by Guest