Error -540

I am receving the error Trouble reading files, error -540 (trouble creating service). It is occurring during the backup of three of my raid drives. Other raids on the same machine do not give this error and it occurs after a certain number of files have already been backed up.

I am using Retrospect 7.5.285 with driver update and hotfix version 7.5.5.103 and using the latest client.

Does any one have any ideas as to what the problem is related to? Even an starting point would be a help.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

After an upgrade from 6.5 I'm having this same problem across five servers running ubuntu 6.06. They all worked reliably on 6.5

We're now using Retrospect 7.5.370 and client version 7.5.112

I've tried removing the retropds.xx file and restarting the client as suggested in some other thread.

Is there a fix for this? It's really annoying and there does seem to be a history of this bug.

Is it ok to downgrade just the clients to an earlier version that worked or will I lose some functionality?

• 3 weeks later...

I had made a post about the same error code this morning (see thread title "error -540 (trouble creating service) and unexpected EOF" thread number : 96030 - 04/11/07 05:46 AM).

Will the EOF issue (casuing the error 540) also be addressed? This seems to be happening on any files that are dynamic (files that have a constantly changing size ... especially files that could shrink in size as the backup server is trying to grab them).

• 1 month later...

Interesting... I just replied to your post about this issue. Perhaps the threads should be merged?

Quote:

I had made a post about the same error code this morning (see thread title "error -540 (trouble creating service) and unexpected EOF" thread number : 96030 - 04/11/07 05:46 AM).

Will the EOF issue (casuing the error 540) also be addressed? This seems to be happening on any files that are dynamic (files that have a constantly changing size ... especially files that could shrink in size as the backup server is trying to grab them).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had this problem when I initially upgraded to version 7.5 back in March of 2006. I submitted a service request (SR #1-7495104) and after a few months of troubleshooting received a replacement copy of C:\Program Files\Retrospect\Retrospect 7.5\retropds_linux86.pdu, dated 06/28/2006. This fixed the -540 problem with all my Linux clients.

Subsequent Retrospect 7.5.xxx updates installed newer versions of retropds_linux86.pdu. In each case, up to and including 7.5.387, the -540 error returned after installing the update. Restoring the 06/28/2006 version of retropds_linux86.pdu has so far fixed the problem. It would appear that the fix from SR #1-7495104 may not been incorporated in subsequent releases.

Todd.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using the retropds_linux86.pdu from ninman and I'm able to also backup a number of Linux hosts that I haven't been able to back up in ages due to "trouble creating service" errors. When is EMC going to fix this problem? It's a joke that it has been going on this long and has made me question recommending Retrospect to anyone.

• 2 months later...

Interesting. After struggling with the Retrospect "-540 trouble creating service" error on my Linux clients, I came across a certain mysterious retropds_linux86.pdu that seems to fix the Retrosepct 540 trouble creating service errors.

Since it was such a challenge to locate the file, I have stashed it here:

retropds_linux86.pdu.zip

Basically, make a backup of your original file, then copy this file over the one on your Retrospect server Windows box:

C:\Program Files\Retrospect\Retrospect 7.5\retropds_linux86.pdu

***** DISCLAIMER *****

I truly do not know the origin of this file.

It seems to fix the -540 errors, and generally work.

Of course I make no warranty and although I hope it does work well, it might be messed up in some other facet.

Hopefully (since it seems appears that this file originated at some point from Retrospect) the Retrospect folks will give us an official download, and an FAQ on fixing this error that is based on something other than forum lore and random downloads of questionable heritage.

Thanks for the reply.

> What is the exact version of Retrospect you are running?

I'm running what I believe is the latest and greatest:

Single Server 7.5.387

HotFix 7.5.13.100

The retropds_linux86.pdu that seems to work (posted above) has this clear text string in it near the start (it is a binary):

ULnx7.5.111

The retropds_linux86.pdu that makes the -540 errors (included in some part of the 7.5.387 / 7.5.13.100 install) has this string in it:

ULnx7.5.113

The ULnx7.5.113 version basically has less than 50% chance of making it through a backup of a given Linux client. Which makes it pretty much unusable.

The ULnx7.5.111 posted above has not thrown a single -540 so far. However, I did get 12 of these errors on one of the four Linux clients:

Generated MD5 digest for file "/var/spool/mqueue/dfm0FNcA7L026337" does not match stored MD5 digest.

(repeated 11 more times, with various file names)

To my understanding, using media verification, it would be impossible to have a MD5 mismatch unless there was a media error in the disk used as the backup destination. The client is not involved in generating or checking the MD5, correct?

So there still may be some weirdness in ULnx7.5.111, since the drive I back up to seems to be otherwise stable, and none of the other files in the 669 GB (compressed size on the removable backup disk) of backup threw an error like this.

> Where did you get this specific file from?

Ummmm . . . let's just say I stumbled across it in a dark corner of the internet where proper gentlemen are not supposed to be seen. blush.gif

OK. True confession time. See my previous post on this subject (#100421 dated 10/02/07). The working retropds_linux86.pdu, dated 06/28/2006, is one I received from EMC Tech Support on 07/13/2006 in response to SR #1-7495104. Let me know if you need any more details.

Todd.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much! I have 3 Linux server that backup every day, but one Linux server that would only backup about 15% of the time. I used this file and I've backed up the last few nights now!! I hope this file becomes part of a standard update release!

This thread should be a sticky!

Thanks again,

Smoke_007

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...