osErr 144, error -1011

Mark Worthington

I have just upgraded from Express to Retrospect Professional 8 on a Windows 7 Enterpise PC. I am quite familiar with Retrospect, using scripts to Duplicate folders from a desktop PC to various external drives. Having modified the scripts accordingly, I overcame the NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation issue (that I resolved via this Forum, thanks!).

Now I am running my scripts which Duplicate "My Documents" to external drives. The Duplication seems to work OK, but I am gettinmg error messages that I have not found on this Forum or by web searches.

Script 1, to an external hard drive:

+ Duplicate using C My Documents - L Work at 10/09/2013 15:00
 To volume Work My Documents on Work (L:)...
  TPCVol::GetInfo: UGetVolumeInformation failed, C:\Users\mark.worthington\My Documents\, osErr 144, error -1011
  TPCVol::GetInfo: UGetVolumeInformation failed, L:\Work My Documents\, osErr 144, error -1011
  TPCVol::GetInfo: UGetVolumeInformation failed, L:\Work My Documents\, osErr 144, error -1011
  TPCVol::GetInfo: UGetVolumeInformation failed, C:\Users\mark.worthington\My Documents\, osErr 144, error -1011

- 10/09/2013 15:00:23: Copying My Documents on OSDisk (C:)
  Folder "C:\Users\mark.worthington\My Documents\": can't write security information, error -1119 ( directory not empty)
 10/09/2013 15:01:21: Comparing Work My Documents on Work (L:)
 10/09/2013 15:01:23: Execution completed successfully
  Completed: 1131 files, 275.2 MB
  Performance: 589.6 MB/minute (305.7 copy, 16511.0 compare)
  Duration: 00:01:00 (00:00:03 idle/loading/preparing)

Script 2, to a memory stick:

+ Duplicate using C My Documents - K Flash at 10/09/2013 15:01
 To volume Work My Documents on Flash (K:)...
 Warning: The destination volume Work My Documents on Flash (K:) does not support extended file attributes.
  TPCVol::GetInfo: UGetVolumeInformation failed, K:\Work My Documents\, osErr 144, error -1011
  TPCVol::GetInfo: UGetVolumeInformation failed, K:\Work My Documents\, osErr 144, error -1011

- 10/09/2013 15:01:24: Copying My Documents on OSDisk (C:)
 10/09/2013 15:19:03: Comparing Work My Documents on Flash (K:)
 10/09/2013 15:19:08: Execution completed successfully
  Completed: 1131 files, 275.2 MB
  Performance: 32.5 MB/minute (16.3 copy, 3302.2 compare)
  Duration: 00:17:43 (00:00:47 idle/loading/preparing)

I can access all relevant folders OK.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 1

I think I have resolved this.

In Windows 7, the "My Documents" folder is now named "Documents". As part of the transfer from a Windows XP PC to the 7, a real "My Documents" folder had been created, too.  I deleted this one and ensured the Duplicate scripts were poiting to the right source. They ran fine, with no error messages.

I guess this topic is closed :)

The "Documents" folder is a physical folder on the volume whereas the "My Documents" folder is the Windows equivalent of symlink on a *nix system if the volume was created by Windows 7 or 8. The "My Documents" entry is the for compatibility with older applications that don't understand the new schematic. The same also applies for the "My Music", "My Pictures, etc. folders and some system forders that I can't remember at present. It can be interesting to look at a Windows 7 or 8 system volume mounted on a Linux/*BSD system to so what is real and what is virtual!

If the volume was created on Windows XP or earlier where "My Documents" was a physical folder I don't know what the arrangement is.

Warning: The destination volume Work My Documents on Flash (K:) does not support extended file attributes.

If you memory stick is a FAT volume and the source an NTFS volume you may see this error if one of the files has an attribute set that is not supported by FAT.