Stuck on Building Snapshot for another 4 hours

Moved from another thread to this Windows forum:

We just had another case like this.

The backup job went thru 100+GB in around 4+ hours..only to be stuck on Building Snapshot for another 4 hours - at which time the client left.

What stayed active - the server job.

This is a fairly regular occurence and becoming an annoyance - as the process has to be shut down - and in most cases a backup set needs to be rebuilt.

With nearly 2TB backup sets, this can take 18-22 hours!

Please let us know if anything else has been found.

After reviewing your support ticket history, please open a new ticket for this specific issue and provide to Support the following info:

1. Change retro.ini:

SetEngineLogging=4

SetVolumesLogging=5

More info at: http://kb.retrospect...s-and-Macintosh

2. After restarting the Engine, subsequent backup should show more detailed info in Activity Monitor > Executing > Log... while the backup is ongoing.

3. Some time into the "Building snapshot..." phase (say 30 minutes), copy log entries from the log window specific to the executing activity mentioned above and save them in a text file somewhere.

4. If more log entries appear in that log window later on, copy and save the log entries again.

5. Provide Support the latest log entries from step 3 or 4.

That would help us narrow down where building snapshot is stuck on.

I see this too in RS 8.1 Multi Server. :( In fact, my laptop is 'stuck there' right now with another user's.

My laptop backup kicked off at 10am today and has been sat at 'Building Snapshot' for several hours now - blocking any other proactive backups for this backup set.

My logs show:

+ Normal backup using All Staff PST Backups at 18/04/2013 10:00 (Execution unit 3)

To Backup Set PSTBackups...

- 18/04/2013 10:00:08: Copying Local Disk (C:) on Richard Thorrington (T500 W7)

..and that's it.

The other user logs says:

+ Normal backup using General Staff Backups at 17/04/2013 10:52 (Execution unit 2)

To Backup Set GenStaffBackups...

- 17/04/2013 10:52:22: Copying Local Disk (C:) on Gavin Fisher (T400 W7 64bit)

Using Instant Scan

..and that's it.

Richard

Thanks - I'll gather the information. Note - a big issue is when machines are being backed up, they go into building snapshot...then the client shuts down...and the server still tries to rebuild the snapshot. In this case, the next day the client comes online...but the snapshot building keeps running( as in no reconnection to the client to close the session. We then have to 'End Process' Retrospect on the server.

My logs show:

+ Normal backup using All Staff PST Backups at 18/04/2013 10:00 (Execution unit 3)

To Backup Set PSTBackups...

- 18/04/2013 10:00:08: Copying Local Disk (C:) on Richard Thorrington (T500 W7)

..and that's it.

Please use these log settings and then sent the log(s) to support.

SetEngineLogging=4

SetVolumesLogging=5

• 3 weeks later...

I just did a fresh install of the 8.1 server on a Windows 2008 R2 server, created a backup job for a fresh install of another Windows 2008 R2 server, and let it run. It hung at building snapshot, after 24 hours, I figured it's fair to say its not going to end. After testing various things I can say it is a 1 to 1 relation with backing up System State. After toggling it off, backups performed as they usually would. From what I've seen, the client spikes to 100% cpu usage and just sits there until you kill it off by hand. I verified the firewall is open on the server, and it does transfer 100% of the data when system state is off(so it's not a network related issue).

I can't say I've seen this before on Windows 2003 servers, so it has me wondering if there is some UAC/permissions issue going on.