Trouble reading files, error -523 ( service transaction error)

We are backing up mailboxes on an Exchange 2007 server and have recently started seeing a backup error on one mailbox out of about 25.

T-597: PtSend: cmd MbeF/msg RdBg: byte count 1041 exceeds maximum of 1024

Trouble reading files, error -523 ( service transaction error)

Anyone know what this means or what we can do to resolve it?

Exchange is on a different server than Retrospect. We are running Exchange 2007 with the latest service packs and updates. Retrospect is version 7.7.620 and the server with Exchange has client version 7.7.114. Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks.

Using the Exchange tools ISINTEG and ESEUTIL to Ensure the Health of your Information Store

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-ISINTEG-ESEUTIL.html

Run chkdsk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chkdsk

(Perhaps there are more modern tools than ISINTEG and ESEUTIL available today, but you get the idea.)

Thanks for the response Lennart. Chkdsk is a long shot for a single mailbox backup error since there are no file system errors reported in the system logs on the server. ESEUtil is for the DB level of Exchange and probably will not find any issues. Since we are running Exchange 2007 I'll go ahead and try Isinteg to see what it comes up with. However, I was really wondering if anyone knew what the error actually meant. This is the first time I've ever seen it. Part of troubleshooting is to identify and define the problem. I dislike shotgun approaches to troubleshooting.

And here's a little side point. For anyone that's trying to repair mailboxes in Exchange it's good to note that IsInteg is no longer a separate program in Exchange 2010 SP1. It's now a powershell cmd-let. http://blogs.technet.com/b/nawar/archive/2010/08/19/exchange-2010-sp1-new-mailboxrepairrequest.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

It's been awhile, but here's an update on this. We upgraded to Retrospect 8 on the backup server and installed the 8.0 client on the Exchange 2007 server along with .Net 4 to get Exchange to back up. We also ran Isinteg -s server -fix -test alltests on the mailbox database. We then removed the exchange license from Retrospect and added it back in. We ran a backup last night and we still get a service transaction error on 1 mailbox. Anyone else have a suggestion?