Can't duplicate from one folder to another on same server

I'm trying to setup a duplicate job that will duplicate one folder to another folder on a remote server. The remote server has the Retro client installed. The duplicate wizard allows me to create the script to do this, but if I look at the script in advanced mode, I get "Error: Source and destination can't be on the same backup client". What is the reasoning behind not being able to duplicate one folder to another on the same backup client????

Update: I was able to choose the 2 folders through Microsoft Networking and setup the duplicate script. If I can do it through Microsoft Networking, why can't I do it through the backup client?

Hi

Client to client copies of data won't work in Retrospect. This is by design as it raises licensing concerns with certain operating system manufacturers. The fact that you cant duplicate one client volume to another on the same machine is likely a side effect of that.

Either that or it occurs because once a client has been reserved as a source volume it cannot be used again in the same operation.

At any rate, your best alternative is to go from network share to client volume.

Thanks

Nate

"Client to client copies of data won't work in Retrospect"

Unless I am misunderstanding your statement, this is incorrect. I just ran a duplicate job from one backup client to another backup client without any issues.

Did you mean that client copies of data where the source client and the destination client are the same computer won't work in Retrospect? If so, why would it raise licensing concerns? I just want to copy data from one folder to another on the same machine.

Anyway, I just dup'd from a network share to client volume (which happen to be the same machine) like you suggested and it worked. (thanks) I just don't understand why the customer (me) is forced to go through extra steps to get the job done. If I could do it through the client, it would be much easier.

Retrospect starts out as an easy to use app, but because of some of the limitations imposed (source and destination can't be the same on a dup, can't backup to the same backup set at the same time if you have multiple drives, etc.), easy tasks become difficult.

Hi

Interesting. I may be going on old information here.

If that is the case, the reason for the trouble is this:

Once a resource (a client, a disk, network volume, folder etc.) is defined as a source or destination it cannot be used again in the same operation. Even though a client may have multiple disks Retrospect still views the client as a single resource.

Thanks

Nate

Archived