DVR-107D

Hi,

I have a DVR-107D (ATAPI), which came installed by default in my recent G5 powermac.

It is not supported yet, though most other configurations of the same unit (including Windows ATAPI) are supported.

The current drivers on OS X recongnise the drive but cause a kernel panic when I try to use it.

I would be extremely grateful if this drive could be fully supported.

Thanks.

Hi

As with any Mac internal drive you can bet Dantz is doing everything they can to get a driver out. Have you updated to the latest driver updates? Have you tried running the auto configuration wizard?

Apple drives are often picky about what media they can use with Retrospect. Have you tried different media types?

Thanks

nate

I seem to be a bearer of bad tidings. Since Retrospect 6.0.193 with Driver Update 5.8.103 will not work with the LaCie Double-Layer drive that Dantz claims is Qualified, I ran a backup yesterday to a new backup set -- that is, this was the initial backup of virtually everything -- using my Dual G5 2.5 ghz's internal Pioneer DVR-107D. I used Verbatim 8x DVD-R blanks, and other than being very slow, everything proceeded as would be expected.

Today I did my first incremental update and got blown out of the water. It appeared to finish the incremental backup of one volume. It compressed the catalog. And then Retrospect told me that I had had  a hardware error 203; my catalog was out of sync; and I needed to run a re-catalog operation. I did so and Retrospect reported a 206 error (dirty heads, it said -- my machine is so new it is still in diapers). So I tried to do an incremental backup during which I reported the "bad" disk to be missing. Retrospect plodded ahead, appeared to finish, and once again reported error 203.

So all this cool business of backing up to DVDs with Retrospect seems to in reality be a bad business. At least that has been my experience.

Well, I ran the auto-configurator, and it claimed to work. I ran it for DVD-R media and CD-R.

Retrospect still won't recognise my old (CD-R) backup sets. Frankly, without proper support for the drive, I don't trust it to work with DVD-R. I'm not even going to bother trying a DVD-R backup - I'll just keep using my firewire cd-r writer for now.

Shame really.

Hi

The auto configuration wizard tests two write/read methods: Packet writing and Track at Once. Your old drive used packet writing. I suspect the new drive is using Track at Once because it failed the packet writing tests in the auto configuration wizard.

Short story: your new drive does not have the drivers necessary to read the old disks. You will likely have to wait for a driver from Dantz before packet writing is supported with this device.

Thanks

Nate

OK thanks.

Another issue I have is that Retrospect disables the disk eject key on the computer keyboard, so to get a disk to load I have to push (quite hard) on the tray.

Is this likely to be addressed by a RDU? Or is there a preference setting somewhere that I've missed?

cheers,

os.

Archived