Help with Gentoo client?

pweil

I've been handed a Linux box that was recently 'moved' from Red Hat to Gentoo by someone else who is no longer here. The retrospect Linux client was installed and previously worked under Red Hat. It is still there, but is not running and can't be found by the Retrospect backup machine. I know this isn't officially supported (note to Dantz: not everyone uses Red Hat), but can anyone suggest to me how I might get this client back up and running? Has anyone had luck running the client under Gentoo?

Thanks, Peter

Current location is mnt/sda6/local/dantz/

The files I see are:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3171 Jun 2 2003 RetroClient.sh

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 152438 Jun 2 2003 libRetrospectIO.so

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Dec 5 2003 rcl -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/rcl

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 507222 Jun 2 2003 retroclient

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 200467 Jun 2 2003 retrocpl

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1996 Jun 2 2003 retroeventhandler

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 357539 Jan 8 2004 retropds.23

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 55310 Jun 2 2003 retrospect.jar

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6090 Jun 2 2003 rpm-post-install.sh

• 1 month later...

hello peter,

i have the client running on several debian and gentoo boxes. the problem is during installation retrospect expects RedHat RC-files and tries to copy the start-stop script to an unavailable location.

just "mkdir /etc/rc.d" and the installer will make a file called "init.d" below that directory. move that file "mv /etc/rc.d/init.d /etc/init.d/rcl" and adjust the symlink "/usr/local/dantz/client/rcl" to point to the correct script.

works great.

regards

claus

Thanks Claus. Actually someone created a retroclient ebuild for us, and it's mostly been working fine on three gentoo boxes (well, actually one has been a little flaky - retrospect says it's responding, but yet can't connect to the client for configuring).

Peter

Quote:

hello peter,

i have the client running on several debian and gentoo boxes. the problem is during installation retrospect expects RedHat RC-files and tries to copy the start-stop script to an unavailable location.

just "mkdir /etc/rc.d" and the installer will make a file called "init.d" below that directory. move that file "mv /etc/rc.d/init.d /etc/init.d/rcl" and adjust the symlink "/usr/local/dantz/client/rcl" to point to the correct script.

works great.

regards

claus

Archived