W2K Server and DLT4000

I can not get this new tape drive to work with Retrospect Workstation (the latest trial 5.6.132). The combination drive / SCSI card (Tekram DC-315U) / motherboard (A-Trend 6400) works with NT Backup, but not with Retrospect. I get error messages or the blue screen of death in the midst of a backup, a restore or even when launching the program.

Can someone suggest a solution or two?

First, check that the device is supported. The internal mechanism is the key to determining whether or not a drive is supported by Retrospect. This information can be found in the Device Status or Environment window (Configure -> Devices).

For a list of supported and pending drives please see:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list

If you are getting crashes, hangs or blue screens when Retrospect scans for devices, use the following steps to pinpoint the problem.

First, ensure that your devices have separate and unique SCSI IDs. If there is a conflict it will certainly cause problems. Try changing the IDs or the order in which the devices are connected if they are daisy-chained.

Next, is ASPI installed correctly? This is a utility that Retrospect uses to communicate with devices under 95/98/ME systems. Run ASPICHK (in the Retrospect Program Files folder) to make sure ASPI is "green" and all components are at version 4.60. If not, try a reinstall (ASPIINST.exe).

If you still get the same behavior, shut down the computer and remove all devices. Restart, launch Retrospect and scan for devices. If you don't get a crash, shut the computer down and add a single device. Restart and rescan. If you don't get a crash with one device, continue the process, adding one device at a time until you pinpoint the one that is causing the problem.

Confirm that it is this device (and not, say, a SCSI configuration issue) by testing with only that device connected. If it is the device, update the firmware for the drive and SCSI card that it is connected to.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Archived