Retrospect confused about autoloader contents after update

Since loading the latest Driver Update (5.7), Retrospect has been regularly confused about which tapes are in which slot of my Autoloader.

I'm running OS X Server 10.3.4 on an original xServe with a Sony TSL-SA500c AIT Autoloader connected to an ATTO ExpressPCI UL3S/66 with the latest ATTO driver and firmware.

The first backup after the update was a new media backup, which I left running overnight, loading the unit with four blanks. In the morning, It had used only three tapes, and was asking for a new tape; it indicated that the slot with the erased tape was holding one of the three used tapes, and was also misidentifying the two other tapes it had used. I forget what it was showing on the fourth tape. All of the tape icons were solid - not outlines. I assumed it was just one of those things that would fix itself, and manually dragged the tape in the slot that I knew held a blank; it scanned it, confirmed that it was really blank, and used it.

The second backup was a normal backup to an existing storage set; when I came in this morning, it was asking me to load the tape that I knew was in slot 4, which it showed was one of the tapes created the previous night. Agian, I dragged tape 4 to the current slot, and it continued just fine. Several of the other tapes were misidentified as well. I din't take notes on what it was saying versus what it really was, but I will next time it happens.

When I get a chance, I'll drop back to the previous Driver Update, but I just thought I'd see if anybody else has run into such a problem....

-Vic.

Vic

I posted something similar recently and got no replies back also.

I don't think there are many people using the Forums with Xserves, OSXS and Autoloaders.

I am about to upgrade to Xserve G5 with same Autoloader and Retrospect software as at present.

To be honest, I am disappointed no Dantz people have said anything and I may have to change backup software.

If you have found anything out since the post then I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Kind regards

Craig.

I finally got some time to explore the issue again today... I placed a sled in the libary with tapes in the following order:

1: 7b7

2: 6a8

3: 4a8

4: 5a8

And asked Retrospect to scan the drive. It reports:

1: 5a8

2: 6a8

3: 4a8

4: 7b7

I'm just about to back down to the previous RDU.

-Vic.

Quote:

Since loading the latest Driver Update (5.7), Retrospect has been regularly confused about which tapes are in which slot of my Autoloader.

We're seeing exactly the same thing with a Sony LIB-162/AIT-3 autoloader. The new RDU v5.7 seems to have completely broken tape recognition. When we ask the unit to scan the tapes in the library, each one is recognised as "Unknown". The unit sits there scanning and rescanning the tapes, trying to make sense of them.

This is on a dual G4 867 with 1Gb of RAM running OS X 10.3.5. Card is an ATTO UL3/S.

Additionally, during the tape scan, rather than read bar codes, it appeared that the unit was actually loading and unloading each tape in the drive.

I wonder, does your drive support bar codes? Perhaps they broke the bar code code...

We reverted to the 5.6 RDU (5.6.102) and ran a scan. Tapes were not loaded and read, but bar code scanned. The library is working normally now.

Hello....Dantz???

Hi

Can you do me a favor and try something (It will not affect your data or backups settings):

Move your retro.config file and the 5.6 driver update to another disk for safe keeping. Then install the 5.7 update and then restart Retrospect. This will start you with a clean set of preferences and Retrospect will prompt you for a your license code. Run a scan media and see if the tape names are remembered properly or not. If not run an "initialize elements" from the device menu.

If everything works OK we know its a problem with preference files. If you still have trouble we'll need to take a closer look.

After you have run this test you can move the 5.6 RDU and your preference files back to thier original locations.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Can you do me a favor and try something (It will not affect your data or backups settings):

Move your retro.config file and the 5.6 driver update to another disk for safe keeping. Then install the 5.7 update and then restart Retrospect. This will start you with a clean set of preferences and Retrospect will prompt you for a your license code. Run a scan media and see if the tape names are remembered properly or not. If not run an "initialize elements" from the device menu.

Did as you suggested.

The drive loaded and read the header of each tape, this time recognising their correct names. Exited Retrospect and restarted it. All the tape names seem to be remembered.

Now...as to the suitability of this solution...

<flame>

I am appalled that Dantz released code that requires me to rebuild the Preferences for this backup server. We're not talking about tweaking a few settings here; no, we're talking about completely rebuilding the backup scripts (three of them) for 85 machines, rebuilding the custom file selectors we've worked months on refining, visiting the machines spread across 6 floors that are intermittently turned on so that they can be configured.

This represents a day or more of work.

There seems to be a "scorched earth" approach to solving these problems. The catalogue change between 5.x and 6.x, and the endless references to deleting Preference files in the forums here seem to underestimate the amount of time and effort we all put in to get these systems running well. "Simply" deleting the Preference file is NOT a trivial thing for us.

There has got to be a better way. Split out the Preferences from those things that are NOT preferences - scripts and file selectors, for example. Breaking the giant preferences lump into smaller parts means that we don't have to reinvent the darned wheel every time you change something that breaks our installations.

</flame>

While we contemplate a suitable time to redo this work (for the third time this year, mind you), we've reverted to our old prefs and RDU 5.6.

Hi

I agree completely. Removing preference files is a last resort. I asked you to try it so we could isolate the source of the problem. There are some other things we can try from here on out.

The loader information is stored in your preference files. In your case that information may be corrupt somehow. Before you start make an extra copy of your preference files and RDU 5.6 just in case.

-Hold down the option key and click on unload to clear the contents of the loader table in Retrospect.

-Also run the "Initialize elements" command to reset the elements on the loader.

-After that close Retrospect and install RDU 5.7

If the problems continue try the same thing with RDU 5.7 installed. If you still have trouble Shutdown the machine and the loader. Reboot with the loader powered down and repeat the process.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

-Hold down the option key and click on unload to clear the contents of the loader table in Retrospect.

-Also run the "Initialize elements" command to reset the elements on the loader.

-After that close Retrospect and install RDU 5.7

Did that. When the device came up, all the slots said "Unknown." Hit Scan Selected and the library loaded each tape. While in the drive, the tape label was correct, but when the tape was moved to a library slot, the label was "Unknown". The erased tapes (two) and the cleaning tape were correctly recognised, but neither of the empty tapes, both of which had bar code labels, displayed the bar codes in their slots.

Quote:

If the problems continue try the same thing with RDU 5.7 installed.

Did that. Same result: the tape label was correct while in the drive, but reverted "Unknown" when the tape was moved back to its library slot.

Quote:

If you still have trouble Shutdown the machine and the loader. Reboot with the loader powered down and repeat the process.

I'm not clear about how to "repeat the process" with the library shut off, since there's no device for Retrospect to see. So here's what I did:

Shut down the machine. Shut down the loader. Booted the machine. Found I couldn't see the loader, turned the loader on. Waited for it to boot. Checked "Device Status," and Rescanned for the device. Couldn't see the loader since it was powered on after the machine.

Restarted the machine with the loader still up. Opened Configure | Devices, selected the library, hit "Scan Selected", nothing happened. Hit it again, still nothing. Powered down the machine, left the library running. Powered up the machine. Configure | Devices. Hit Scan Selected. Nothing happened (it didn't start to scan tapes). Powered down the machine, powered down the library.

Powered up the library, let it initialise. Powered up the machine. Configure | Devices | Scan Selected, still nothing. Kicked off a test backup to force the machine to search for a tape. Drive started to scan tapes, looking for an appropriate one. Let it load one tape, stopped the backup. Then Configure | Devices | Scan Selected, this time it scanned the media, saw the tape label and bar code correctly while in the drive, but ditched both when it put the tape back in its slot.

Put the old prefs and RDU 5.6 back in place. And all was right with the world.

To put it in technical terms, this sucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

My apologies for the slow response - I've been out.

I'll try to find some other alternatives. For the moment we should stick to 5.6.

Okay, there's yet another RDU available, 5.8.103. As usual, there's only the bare minimum of change notes with the release. Anyone know if this "fixes" the autoloader problems?

I have a Sony LIB-152/A2 with a SDW-500C AIT-2 tape drive and no bar code reader. I have *always* had problems with Retrospect errors using OS X, normally 102-trouble communicating. Recently upgraded to Retrospect Server 6 on OS X 10.3.5 with an ATTO UL3D, all configured according to recommendations.

Using RDU 5.7.104, the 102 errors seem to mostly go away, but Retrospect continually loses track of which tape is in which slot in the magazine, exactly as described earlier in this thread. Went back to the "stock" Retrospect 6 RDU 5.2.101 and Retrospect can keep track of the tapes in the slots but I get the 102 errors *all the time*. I have SCSI voodoo'd this issue to death, and I really don't think it's a termination issue, especially since I never had these problems back in OS 9 days. (Yes, I know, SCSI in OS X is a completely different animal than OS 9, etc etc)

Which RDU is likely to be my best choice? This is driving me nuts and has been going on for far too long. I'm going to try RDU 5.6 and if it seems good, I'll let you know.

R/

Bob

Hi

Are you using the 3.20 drivers from ATTO? They resolve some negotiation problems with Sony libraries. When Retrospect loses track of the tapes do this:

Run initialize elements from the Device menu. This will reset the loader inventory. Then hold down the option key and click on the unload button. This should clear the loader table in Retrospect.

If possible you could also try using new Retrospect preference files with RDU 5.7. I know that has helped some people. Otherwise stick to 5.6 for the moment.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Are you using the 3.20 drivers from ATTO? They resolve some negotiation problems with Sony libraries. When Retrospect loses track of the tapes do this:

Run initialize elements from the Device menu. This will reset the loader inventory. Then hold down the option key and click on the unload button. This should clear the loader table in Retrospect.

If possible you could also try using new Retrospect preference files with RDU 5.7. I know that has helped some people. Otherwise stick to 5.6 for the moment.

Upgraded to the 3.20 ATTO drivers, then had tapes misidentified with RDU 5.6.

Ran Initialise Elements. Held [Option], clicked Unload. Closed RS, opened it. Configure | Devices, waited for the scan to complete. Works.

Still shy about updating the RDU to > 5.6 until I hear more.

Hi

I know that 5.7 and 5.8 did not include any fixes in this regard so they won't do you any good. Hence the recommendation to stay with 5.6.

This phenomenon is under investigation but I don't have any more info than that. If a problem is found it will likely be fixed in an update of some kind.

Thanks

Nat

So this last week I installed a VXA-2 1U Autoloader which came with Retro 6 Workgroup. I installed WG, updated it and installed RDU 5.8. From day one I had problems with the autoloader not recognizing tapes, only seeing the names of the tapes when they are physically in the drive or ocassionally when in the device list. I had to fall back to using my single Sony AIt drive. After reading through these forums and finding out about RDU 5.6 and downloading it from a link that natew posted in another thread (thankyou!) everything seems to be running okay. Last nights backup seemed to go okay and I ran an Immediate backup a little while ago which also went well. I don't know what happened in 5.8, but so far, 5.6 seems to have solved my problems.

So here is another vote for 5.6.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Alright... I took the plunge.

1. Saved /Library/Preferences/Retrospect and the entire 6.0 folder.

2. Restarted the machine to clear the Retrospect daemon.

3. Installed 6.0.204 from the CD image, which includes the 5.9 RDU.

4. Ran Repair Permissions (which I always do after installing new OS X software).

5. Started Retrospect.

All tape names appear to be correct. Closed Retrospect, restarted it, all tape names appear to be correct.

Ran Unload All and Initialise Array. Closed Retrospect, restarted it. Clicked Configure | Devices. All tape names appear to be correct.

Ran a trial backup. Works. All clients appear to be intact and working.

I think that Dantz has fixed the autoloader issue. I did not have to recreate preferences in order to get this to work. I used the existing prefs from 6.0.193.

To recap: OS X 10.3.5 on a dual G4, 1Gb of RAM, ATTO UL3S card with the latest ATTO driver, now running 6.0.204 with the 5.9 RDU, connected to a Sony LIB-162 AIT-3 autoloader.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived