Retrospect can't "see" client

JohnCMoore

Retrospect can connect to the wireless if the laptops aren't plugged in with the hardwire. First I have to change the DHCP reservations to the mac addresses of the wireless cards on the laptops (of course). The problem is that wireless is only 54mbps while hard is 100mbps. We use Timeslips in the office that utilizes a Borland Database Engine it responds pretty slow with wireless (and the backup script would take nearly twice as long too!). We'd like to be able to utilize the wireless when we need to move laptops around without having to plug and unplug the access point all the time frown.gif

Oh yes, there is a VPN in the mix. But don't know why that would have anything to do with this problem.

Thanks

Quote:

Oh yes, there is a VPN in the mix. But don't know why that would have anything to do with this problem.

Thanks

Some VPNs block broadcasts and Retrospect uses a broadcast mechanism on the subnet to find (talk to) clients.

I just fixed my problem with not being able to see the backup client. My system is:

-Retrospect 6.5 installed on Win2K Professional

-Client on XP SP2

1) Entering the IP into the "Test" box did not find the client.

2) I use the XP machine on my network all day so I can ping and etc.

3) One network card

4) Retrospect client was working until I installed SP2

5) Windows firewall is disabled

6) Zone Alarm is no longer loaded

7) I verified that the client was "On" and running.

Still I couldn't see the client.

Then it hit me.

1) When I installed SP2 I had made the machine a multi-media center in the living room and so removed password logon. I added back in a password and everything works.

I hope this help someone.

there is a definite problem (imho) having installed WinXP SP2

- it is the only thing that has changed in the setup ...

... even enabling ports udp/tcp 437 makes no difference to seeing the Retrospect Client

However ... read on :

- tried with ZAPro Off, + WinXP Firewall on, and setup as with ports access etc. etc.

... still unable to see the Retrospect client !

--> but am able to add in a volume or folder etc. via "My Network Places"

- so turned ZAPro On, + WinXP Firewall OFF, access with ports etc. etc.

... still unable to see the Retrospect client

(not surprising turning on ZAPro causes the Retrospect Client software to completely

'grey out' !).

--> but am able to backup up a volume or folder etc. via "My Network Places"

... and I've also done a restore to a different folder.

Current Conclusion ... WinXP SP2 and the "multicast" side of Retrospect Backup Client

ARE NOT COMPATIBLE !!

So, has this been fixed in Retrospect 7.0 ?

- should I need to use the Retrospect Client option ?

Ajc

I'm running Retro 7.0 MultiServer on a W2K SP4 box. I have assorted Retro clients (W98, W2K, XP SP1, SP2) all working OK (can see clients under Add, can backup from client machines). The SP2 firewall is *off* on all XP SP2s (enforced by a setting from the domain controller). I did stumble across an inaccessible client caused by the the firewall in SP1 accidentally set on (documented in another thread). No ZAP, NIS or other 3rd part firewalls around.

In an effort to consolidate and hopefully speed up resolution of an apparent pervasive problem, I'm copying below my comments from another thread.

GoAWest:

1. I added port 497 TCP & 497 UDP to the Windows' Firewall Exceptions. No luck.

2. I disabled the Windows' Firewall entirely. No luck.

3. I disabled Norton AntiVirus. No luck.

jhg:

a. I went into Retrospect | Configure | Clients and executed the Test Address. Works fine.

b. XP server successfully pinged ME client.

c. ME client successfully pinged XP server.

I'm now reading from my cryptic notes from today's testing and I may not have all the syntax correct.

- At one point the backup issued the following error message: Can't access server using the given username and password, error - 1116 (can't access network volume)

- I went into Configure | Client | Properties. The Status was "Not Connected." I then hit the Refresh button. Status now reads: "Connected." [Note: If the Connected were present from the beginning, the scheduled backup would work!]

- I went into Configure | Client | Properties. Got to a screen that said, "Enter Network Password" then "Server Login"

Connect As:

Password:

I'm not sure what to enter here and tried a number of combinations. I tried entering the "Server Name, Client Name, Administrater's Name." No luck. I had previously assigned a username and password to the client, so I tried that also. No luck.

I think I've tried everything that everyone suggested, so where do I go from here? Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

Archived