Sign in to follow this  
tschaefges

Help me understand matching

I'm having a problem with matching and I'd like to get a clarification of how it works and what the various marks on the Preview screen mean.

Yesterday I copied 53 gigabytes (36,000 files more or less) to a second hard drive on another machine. Both drives use NTFS so the timestamps should not be subject to rounding during the copy.

I ran an immediate backup of the copied files which copied them all to tape. Now I'm trying to run an immediate backup of the drive that has the original files. I have matching turned on, so I expected that none of the files on the original drive will be copied to tape because they are already there from the previous backup of the copied files. However, I don't think that's what the Preview screen is telling me.

All of the files in the Prevew screen have a checkmark turned on. I assume that means they will be included in the snapshot. Many of them have diamonds and no highlight, but more than half of them have no diamonds and are highlighted. That means those highlighted files will be copied to the tape, right? But they are identical to the files already on the tape...they were just copied from one drive to the other. It's weird that not all of the files are marked, just some of them scattered all over the place in no apparent pattern.

Why don't all the files match between the originals and the copies? None of them have been touched. This is going to cause a huge amount of data that's already on tape to be copied again. Not only will it use a lot more tape, but it also takes several hours to write that much data.

How can I stop that from happening? I only want these files on the tape one time, but they should be in the snapshot for each drive.

Why are some of the files matching but not all of them? Are there any user controls on the matching criterion?

Hi

The check means "marked for backup".

The diamond means "already exists in the backup and will not be copied"

All files and folders on the volume are included in the snapshot (disk image) even if no files are selected for backup. Matching affects which files will actually be copied in a backup session.

One criteria Retrospect uses to determine if files have changed is the size of the files. Depending on the size and partition structure of the two disks they may be reporting the file sizes differently.

Did you use the Retrospect "duplicate" feature to copy the files from one drive to the other? You may have better luck with that instead of using Windows to do it.

Nate

By the way - folders will never have a diamond next to them. Only files will get a diamond. Look closely at the preview screen to make sure that isn't getting you confused.

Just to clarify a bit. The check means "marked for backup" according to your selectors. Not all of them will be included in the next normal backup. The files and folders which will actually be backed up are the ones that are highlighted.

The files were not copied using Retrospect. Basically that second drive acts as an on-line mirror for some very important files. I replicate them using a direct Windows copy or by using ViceVersa by TGRMN. There are way too many of them to copy each time and there has to be some degree of automation, so I am unable to use Retrospect to duplicate the files.

Both drives are formatted as NTFS and a directory view of the files show them to be the same size to the byte as well as having the same last modified date and time. The reason I noticed it is that of the 46gb of files, about 22gb were not matched and were highlighted indicating they would be copied to the tape. So most of the files matched, but there was a large number that didn't. Even the window that shows up when you right-click a file and choose Properties shows an exact match of the file size and the date and time to the files already on the tape from another machine.

And here's another strange thing... About an hour ago, as a test, I ran an immediate backup of a drive and the preview showed (correctly) that no files would be copied to the tape. Everything had a checkmark and diamond and there were no highlights. This is correct because that drive was backed up last night. But just now while writing this note I ran the preview of the exact same job and one file that hasn't been touched since 12/19/2001 is showing up without a diamond and is highlighted. There is no reason why that file should be copied to the tape again. That drive has been backed up twice on this backup set and that file was matched an hour ago.

I rebooted the machine and ran the preview again. This time that same file is matched. Something is odd with the matching if the same file goes from unmatched to matched with just a reboot.

I quit Retrospect and started it up again. Now I get "Matching to volume Photos failed, error -641 (chunk checksum didn't match)" even though I did absolutely nothing other than quit the program and restart it. A reboot has corrected the problem, but that doesn't seem right.

Something seems strange about how matching is working. At the very least I would like to suggest some user control over how files are matched. Some modified date/time tolerance would be extremely useful to compensate for NTFS and FAt file system differences as well as timezone differences for portable drives.

Hi

With NTFS and FAT the OS takes care of the differences. Retrospect will see the files as identical even if time zones are different too. In other words, that isn't the problem in this case.

The truth is Retrospect is really simple minded. Either a file matches the

Matching criteria or it doesn't. If a glitch on your system makes the files appear different in some way Retrospect will back them up again.

There is a remote possiblity that the Retrospect preference files are corrupt. I would try renaming the retrospect preference files and try this again. The preference files are named config65.dat and config65.bak they will be in the All users/documents and settings/application data/Retrospect folder.

Thanks

Nate