How do you initialize the Report Watcher?

WRShaw

Here is the problem,

The reports watcher indicates that I have 95 clients that have never been backed up, despite other parts of the report saying the backup ran fine. Additionally the Backup report in Retrospect also indicates that everying is backed up.

We are running multiserver valu-pack 6.5.350.

Has anybody else had this problem and what did you do?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Hi Bill,

It sounds like the backup report is not tracking the clients properly.

Try forgetting a few clients, closing/relauching Retropect and then log them back in. That may reset the entries for those clients in the backup report.

You might have better luck using new Retrospect preferences but that means you would have to set up Retrospect again from scratch.

Thanks

Nate

Nate, hopefully this helps:

I dropped four clients.

Stopped Retrospect

Stopped ReportsWatcher

Started Retrospect

Started ReportsWatcher

and the forgotten clients are still listed as not being backed up.

When you say I need to rebuild from scratch, does that mean deleting the config65.* files, re-enrolling all clients, rebuilding all catelogs, etc.??? Or is there a less labor intensive way of attacking this problem?

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill

Actually I'd like to take it one step further. Log the clients back in and run a backup of them. Then see if they show as backed up.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Unfortunately that is exactly what you would have to do if you deleted your preference files. You wouldn't have to rebuild catalogs but there will still be a ton of work involved. I'm still not positive that will help so you should pobably wait before you try it.

Nate

Nate,

Before I had a chance to forget and add one of our clients as you suggested, I noticed that the list had normalized (somewhat). The only PCs now listed are the ones that haven't been backed up. This is good and inexplicable. The only unusual activity that has taken place was to drop those original 4 volumes and I cleaned up (removed) some snapshots from the catalog of a transferred tape.

But don't cheer yet!

Remaining on the never backed up list is all my Exchange clients (mailboxes, storage groups, etc) and SQL databases.

In an attempt to do as you suggested, I dropped (forgot) my mailbox and then readded it to the remembered mailboxes. Then I reran our mail backup and although my mailbox is included in the backup it didn't fall off the report.

Is there something special about the reporting about volumes backed up through your agents (SQL/Exchange) that I am missing?

Thanks,

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Archived