Yamaha question

Two questions:

1. I see that Yamaha is bundling Retrospect with its new CD-RW drives. Does that mean that a Macintosh OS X user like me can assume that Yamaha CD-RW Firewire drives are OK?

2. Just talked to an engineer at Firewire Direct who told me their drives use the Yamaha CRW2100EZ mechanism and "It is my understanding that it is the same mech used in the Yamaha 2100FXZ firewire device."

Is this one a winner? Can I buy it with confidence?

Thanks,

Arch

> 1. I see that Yamaha is bundling Retrospect with its new CD-RW drives. Does that mean that a Macintosh OS X user like me can assume that Yamaha CD-RW Firewire drives are OK?

*Always* check the device compatibility list before making a purchase. Most bundles on the market include a supported device, but there may be notes about OS X compatibility that you need to know.

Also, some stores put together their own "bundles" and I've actually seen bundles that include devices NOT supported by Retrospect, because the store wan't as knowledgeable as they shoudl have been about Retrospect bundles! Bundles that ship from a manufacturer shoudl be fine though.

Currently supported FireWire Yamaha drives are:

Yamaha CRW8824FXZ

Yamaha LightSpeed CRW2100FXZ FireWire

OWC FireWire Yamaha 16x10x40

Yamaha CRW2200FX/IX

Yamaha CRW3200FX/IX

These have all been shown to work fine under OS X.

> 2. Just talked to an engineer at Firewire Direct who told me their drives use the Yamaha CRW2100EZ mechanism and "It is my understanding that it is the same mech used in the Yamaha 2100FXZ firewire device."

Is this one a winner? Can I buy it with confidence?

Again, check compatibility with our website. Keep in mind that FireWire CD drives are almost all ATAPI or SCSI drives that ship in a case with a FireWire bridge that make them into FireWire drives. If that's the case, they may be using a mechanish that we support, but a bridge that we haven't tested. We have not currently tested the FireWire Direct drive, so at this time it wouldn't be officially supported.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

• 1 month later...

Archived