Assert Error

JeffreyLee

After a reformat and reinstall of all software on my hard drive, Retrospect v. 6.0.206 routinely generates an assert.exe error (not giving me any hints of details of the problem).

Only message I get is a "Failure Notification" and the statement that there was "An internal consistency check error."

The message indicates that a log file "assert_log.utx" was created--but I've never been able to find in on my hard drive.

I have repaired my backup file catelog -- all to no avail.

I operate on XP Home (all updates installed); the PC is a Dell 4100, 900Mhz with 512 MB RAM.

Retrospect was working fine until the reinstall of XP and all the software (including Retrospect, of course).

Any thoughts out there?

I hadn't installed the driver update version 3.9 (after the reinstall of everything, I hadn't realized that there was an update). I did this, but, unfortunately, the same end result.

The error occurs after file matching. The status box says "Preparing to Execute . . ." when the assert.exe failure notification occurs.

Jeff

Hi

What is your backup device?

You may have corrupt configuration files. Remove or rename the following files on your machine:

C:\documents and settings\all users\Application data (hidden)\Retrospect\config60.dat and config60.bak

This will give you clean Retrospect preferences to work with.

Thanks

Nate

My backup device is a Maxtor One Touch external hard drive (250GB).

I tried deleting the Retrospect folder you suggested twice already (once before installing the driver update version 3.9 and once again just now). Same result.

Sorry, I wish this had solved my problem.

I appreciate your help.

Jeff

Hi

Are you using a backup set that you created before the format and reinstall of the machine? You might want to try using a new backup set to see if the problem persists. Are you using a disk backup set or file backup set?

Make sure to disable system restore on the Maxtor drive. If the drive is formatted as Fat32 you might want to format it as NTFS instead.

Thanks

Nate

Yes, I've tried creating a new backup set, to no avail. I've tried repairing the catalog with older backup files . . . . same result. I also (at your urging) turned OFF system restore . . . no change. I get the same error whether I use FILE or DISK backups. The storage drive is NTFS.

I'm out of the country for all of September (beginning 8/27). If we don't solve this before then, I'll pick up the thread in late Sept. or early October.

Thanks for your efforts.

Jeff

Hi

What else is running on this machine? Assert errors often occur because of memory management problems on the machine. There may another application causing problems. Bad physical memory is also a possiblity.

Why did you have to do a full resintall of the OS on this machine? Was it acting strange before?

Thanks

nate

I was forced to do a reinstall because of lots of XP instability (repeated system crashes). I can try cutting way back on TSR applications that may be running in background--but I don't have too many because the machine is relatively clean at this point. I can check for bad physical memory . . . I think I know how to do this.

Jeff

• 2 months later...

Nate,

After a long lag between our last correspondence and today (I've been out of the country), I've finally moved ahead and attempted to check the memory. I removed each of my two 256 memory modules -- one at a time -- I was not able to eliminate the assert error. When running Retrospect with only one and then the other module, I end up with the same problem: Retrospect reports the assert error.

Jeff

Nate,

I get the same error regardless of where I try to back up: I have two internal hard drives and the one Maxtor. All lead to the assert error.

To my knowledge, I do not have a SATA controller. Don't know exactly where to look for this (all of the controller's that I've found reference to do not indicate that they are SATA). I am not using an USB flash card reader.

Jeff

I have created a variety of backup sets -- typically of the same set of files on my C drive (Documents and Settings). I've also tried backing up files on a network (including drive C Documents and Settings).

I could try backing up a different set of files . . . but I'm more than somewhat skeptical that this will work.

Jeff

Hi

The biggest red flag here is that you had to format and reinstall XP because of frequent crashes and stability problems. I think you may have just been lucky before that Retrospect was running at all...

Dell likely has some diagnostic utilities you can use to check out your system. Its possible that both memory chips are bad or that there is a problem with the motherboard somewhere.

When you reinstalled XP did you use the system restore disks that came with the Dell?

Thanks

Nate

Nate,

The Dell system originally came with Win98 vs. XP -- so I installed from an XP CD that I purchased directly.

I tried backing up removing each of the two memory modules, in turn, and still the problem.

I'll see what I can do with some Dell diagnostics . . .

So . . . guess I'm at the end of my rope. You've done all that you can do!? I greatly appreciate your efforts.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Archived