Sign in to follow this  
gkowalsky6

Tape capacity misreported?

After adding new tape to the set, I noticed that on quit Retrospect reported a whopping 312.5 GB of total capacity of this tape - regular DLT IV tape. What can be wrong with this, and which dangers are lurking around? I did try to search the KB and forums, but did not find an answer yet.

My configuration: Multiserver 6.0.206 (Driver Upd. 3.9.106) - I believe these are the latest versions, running on patched W2K, backing up to ATL PowerStor L200 8-slits 1-drive library (latest firmware, I believe, too). Both the drive and the library are disabled in Windows Device Manager, in Retrospect I'm using NT SCSI Passthrough - I recently had a painful affair with ASPI.

I am running short rerstore tests weekly, so long the files were restored without any problems from the tape in question. I am reluctant to play with preferences' files - I recently had these corrupted and had to recreate them manually.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

Retrospect quesses the capacity of tapes before they are used. It is purely a quess and has no bearing on how much data gets written to the tape. In other words - ignore the message, its meaningless.

If you look at the properties of the backup set how much data is actually stored on each member tape?

Thanks

nate

Thanks for your reply, I'm relaxad now. I recently went through some rather ugly situation with damaged carridge, and misreporting message appeared immediately after introducing a new cartridge to the set.

What can cause this error? Can it be a sign that something's wrong (or will be) with the set, or with the drive?

Paranoia...

Thanks again!

Hi

Its not an error really. Retrospect makes a guess of how much data could possibly fit on your tape. There is no way to tell how much will actually fit on there ahead of time so a guess has to suffice.

It truly is meaningless. Retrospect will write until the tape is physically full or a media failure occurs.

Nate