Error 206-Dirty Heads...

We have a scsi CD-R (APS) that has consistently been giving error 206 bad media, dirty heads during backup and is finicky about retrieving. We recently got a Ricoh that will restore without problem but is again giving us the same error when we try to backup. We are using Retrospect 4.3 on a PowerMac 8500. Any ideas on what is causing this and how we can fix?

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem, I have a beige G3 which was upgraded to a G4, with an external APS CD-R (Sony) drive. The CD-R is on a SCSI chain with an 18Gb External HD--which is what I back up. I have been using this for a long time for backups on an old PowerTower machine and then started getting 206 and 208 errors. I switched the drives to the G3/G4 and got the same errors, figured it was a bad CD-R drive and bought a LaCie Firewire/USB CD-RW (Teac CD-W524E). At first, I could not get Retrospect to back up to it (it turns out to be "Unqualified"--whatever that means), but then Retrospect worked with the old CD-R drive (much slower, but at least it got backed up). That worked for a week or two, and now I am back to getting 208 errors again--on both drives (somehow the Teac is playing nice now)--and have ended up trashing 4-6 CDs trying to make this work.

Archived