failure to enter context, error -1216

jsloan

I've been sailing along for several months, backing up several server volumes, exchange data and sql server data without any problems. This week my backups suddenly began to fail, the log message being: T-2: Failure to entere context, error -1,216

Can't find any reliable info on what this error means, or what it's being caused by.

Any ideas?

(We've also been getting an inexplicable error -2001, unexpected termination, possibly due to system crash, but there is nothing in the windows event viewer and the system isn't crashing)

Same problem here, with the latest version of the french version of Retrospect for Small Business Server on the french version of Small Business Server 2003. The server is an HP Proliant ML350 (1 Xeon 2.8Ghz, 1GB RAM, 3x36GB HDD RAID5, built-in HP SACI RAID controller), using an HP DAT72 for backup.

I'm trying to backup some volumes and some exchange mailboxes and the error message seems to appear only for the volumes for every backup or restore jobs, launched manually or using a script.

The strange thing is that despite that message everything seems to work fine, the file comparison between tape and HDD is always ok and I can still restore all the files from the tapes without any problem.

• 2 months later...

I'm getting the same problems. I'm using Retrospect 6.5.350 (how do I find the driver version?) and Exchange 2003 with the current service pack etc installed. The hardware is a non-branded P4 3.4G system with 2Gb RAM & masses of disk. The backup device is also an HP DAT72 drive (and media).

The error occurs backing up all mailboxes. A sample log follows.

If I try to add more mailboxes to the backup script I also get an error "Not connecting to Exchange (see log for details). There is no retrospect log entry for this, but there is an event log (which seems to occur a lot)

Access denied attempting to launch a DCOM Server using DefaultLaunchPermssion. The server is:

{00020906-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

The user is ANONYMOUS LOGON/NT AUTHORITY, SID=S-1-5-7.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Hope this helps.

An example Retrospect log is:

+ Normal backup using Mailboxes at 14/11/2004 20:00 (Execution unit 1)

To Backup Set Backup Set B...

- 14/11/2004 20:00:01: Copying Adrian

FAILURE to enter context, error -1,216

TMapiConnection: :TMapiConnection: Unable to use profile, win error 0x81002746

Scan time: 31 milliseconds.

Scanning incomplete, error -3421 (unknown)

- 14/11/2004 20:00:01: Copying Dave

- 14/11/2004 20:00:01: Copying Gill

- 14/11/2004 20:00:01: Copying John

- 14/11/2004 20:00:01: Copying Nicola

Scan time: 32 milliseconds.

14/11/2004 20:00:02: Execution incomplete

I added a space to the double colon in TMapiConnection: :TMapiConnection to avoid getting loads of appl.gif

Quote:

If I try to add more mailboxes to the backup script I also get an error "Not connecting to Exchange (see log for details). There is no retrospect log entry for this...

I found the log entry - it reads

Retrospect error code error -3402 (unknown)

Reported by function mtloUpdateVolumeList

Access to mailboxes from the specified account has failed.

This user's mailbox may not be initialized. You may initialize it by

either starting Outlook as that user or by sending the user a mail message.

Quote:

, but there is an event log (which seems to occur a lot)

Access denied attempting to launch a DCOM Server using DefaultLaunchPermssion. The server is:

{00020906-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

The user is ANONYMOUS LOGON/NT AUTHORITY, SID=S-1-5-7.

{00020906-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} turned out to be Word Viewer. I changed the permissions on that to allow ANONYMOUS access & while I get the same error in Retrospect, I don't get the error in the event log. Why would Retrospect launch Word Viewer when I try to enumerate mailboxes???

A full backup of the exchange server (not just mailboxes) gives

+ Normal backup using Exchange Server at 14/11/2004 20:00 (Execution unit 1)

* Container Exchange Server was empty (had no volumes)

* Container Exchange Mailboxes was empty (had no volumes)

To Backup Set Backup Set B...

- 14/11/2004 20:00:00: Copying Adrian

TMapiConnectionappl.gifTMapiConnection: Unable to use profile, win error 0x81002746

Scan time: 125 milliseconds.

- 14/11/2004 20:00:00: Copying Dave

TMapiConnectionappl.gifTMapiConnection: Unable to use profile, win error 0x81002746

Scan time: 16 milliseconds.

- 14/11/2004 20:00:00: Copying Gill

- 14/11/2004 20:00:00: Copying John

- 14/11/2004 20:00:00: Copying Nicola

14/11/2004 20:00:01: Execution incomplete

Hi

It looks like you have selected the mailboxes containter and the exchange server container as the source for your backup? Does the error occur if you specify the storage group and the individual mailboxes for backup?

You have sent and recieved mail using the RBU account right? If you temporarily use the administrator account rather than the RBU account to log in the server do you have the same trouble?

Has mailbox backup ever worked for you?

Thanks

Nate

Sorry to seem thick but I really don’t know much about exchange ...

Quote:

It looks like you have selected the mailboxes containter and the exchange server container as the source for your backup?

Correct

Quote:

Does the error occur if you specify the storage group and the individual mailboxes for backup?

How? Where? I can't enumerate the mailboxes in the mailbox container. The storage group doesn't seem to appear as something I can select, or if it does I missed it. Where is it?

Quote:

You have sent and recieved mail using the RBU account right? If you temporarily use the administrator account rather than the RBU account to log in the server do you have the same trouble?

I'm not sure what you mean. I normally run Retrospect in a dedicated user account (Retrospect) which doesn't have a mailbox. I tried running it in my own administrative login account and got a similar but not identical situation. Doing that I was able to enumerate the mailboxes in the mailbox container, and actually running the mailbox backup script did backup something, but still gave the same -1216 error:

- 22/11/2004 11:43:37: Copying Adrian

Scan time: 610 milliseconds.

22/11/2004 11:44:52: Snapshot stored, 394 KB

22/11/2004 11:44:55: Comparing Adrian

22/11/2004 11:45:28: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 369 files, 66.7 MB

Performance: 90.9 MB/minute (57.1 copy, 222.3 compare)

Duration: 00:01:51 (00:00:22 idle/loading/preparing)

So to seems that depsite the fact that I still get the -1216 error (now 3 times) something was backed up. I didn notice that the previous error message said " Unable to use profile" so out of interest I deleted & recreated the user profile for user "Retrospect", but it made no difference.

Quote:

Has mailbox backup ever worked for you?

Yes - it worked for a couple of months without any problems

I've ReRTFM & noticed that I the RBU should have an exchange mailbox. I created it & tried again. I also verified (& reapplied) all the group memberships & security settings required. I also logged onto the mailbox from outlook to verify it was created & initialised.

I still get an error now but it's

22/11/2004 11:43:37: Copying Adrian

Scan time: 610 milliseconds.

22/11/2004 11:44:52: Snapshot stored, 394 KB

22/11/2004 11:44:55: Comparing Adrian

22/11/2004 11:45:28: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 369 files, 66.7 MB

Performance: 90.9 MB/minute (57.1 copy, 222.3 compare)

Duration: 00:01:51 (00:00:22 idle/loading/preparing

rather than the error I get before. I also noticed that the Exchange Server container is empty (and may be grayed) and always has been. The FM suggests that the security details are wrong, but i've checked them twice at least.

I also noticed that if I fire up Retrospect from the RBU account then it shows that account in the title bar,, but if I fire it up from an other account (which is a member of B/O (& Domain Admins & Administrators for that matter)) then the account name show in the title bar is the logged-on user name not the RBU account. I have made sure it is set to always run as RBU & reset the parameter just in case. It still runs as the logged-in user. I don think that this is the problem, since I always run Retrospect in a T/S window logged on as RBU anyway, but it may give a clue.

Any ideas anyone?

Hi

Be sure to send an email to the new mailbox you created. Otherwise it will not be activated.

If you edit the sources for your script you should see the exhchange container. The first storage group will show up below that. Are you saying that the first storage group is not visible there?

Thanks

Nate

>> Be sure to send an email to the new mailbox you created. Otherwise it will not be activated.

Did that (and received the message too)

>> If you edit the sources for your script you should see the exhchange container.

>> The first storage group will show up below that.

>> Are you saying that the first storage group is not visible there?

Yes, the first storage group is not visible there and never has been. I have trebble checked that the RBU user has the correct permissions & that Retrospect should be running as that user.

Hi

I'm suprised that storage group is not showing up. That should be visible for sure.

Have you tried unlicensing the exchange server in the Retrospect volumes database, restarting Retrospect and then re-licensing it?

Thanks

Nate

But the exchange server isnt listed there so I can't "forget" it.

I did release the license from the server then reapply it. While the mailboxes are visible doing that, the exchange server container is still empty.

I just noticed a login option on the Exchange Server container. I changed then login there & can now see the First Storage Group! Yipeeee!

I ran the backups & no errors! Looks like the password on the Exchange Server container was the issue. Thanks for your help. appl.gif

Archived