6.0 not working with tape drive

Recently upgraded to OSX (Panther) from OS9 and upgraded to Retrospect 6. I use DAT tapes for backups. Retrospect sees the tape drive fine, everything seems to be working as far as importing the old dat logs, etc., but when I try to retrieve files, the tapes just click & clack in the drive as if they are cyling up. But nothing goes beyond that. I can't figure if Retrospect is not happy with the drive or my SCSI driver. (I recently installed the Adaptec scsi driver for OSX so that the scanner would work. I see where Adaptec isn't supported, but since Retrospect sees the drive, it seems ok.)

I'm not sure what to try to fix, but I definately need to unarchive some files from the old dats. Since Retrospect 4 doesn't run in Classic, I'm really up a creek. Any ideas what the conflict is? The tape drive is a PowerUser Pro. Though pretty old, it's been running fine & I'm sure my boss doesn't want to spring for a new drive.

tia

• 9 months later...

My Adaptec card worked just fine in conjunction with OS X and Retrospect -- until last week!

Now all of the sudden Retrospect tells me that any DAT tape I insert is "erased" (and they definitely aren't).

Has the tape drive suddenly flipped out? Or is it perhaps the SCSI card itself (I tried switching out cables, cleaning the tape drive, etc, all to no avail.)

Am I up a creek without a paddle?

HELP, please!

Hi

The heads of DAT drives have a tendency to get out of allignment. As a result you can read and write new tapes OK but older tapes can show up as erased. You might want to start there although your SCSI card should be replaced too.

Thanks

Nate

Archived