Files over 2 GB - lots of weirdness

Tape server is a beige G3/300 with 192MB RAM running OS 9.1 with an Initio U2W SCSI card connected only to a Sony AIT-2 library. Running Workgroup v 5.0.205, the latest and greatest. All backup sets and Retrospect files are stored on the Mac's startup IDE hard drive, nothing special there.

Clients are a mix, but the one that I'm concerned with is a G4/800DP with a CineWave HD card running OS 9.2.2 with Retrospect Client v. 5.0f201.

Here's the problems, and they are driving me nuts. The CineWave system gathers huge files very quickly, many over 2GB, some as large as 15GB. I'm sure they will only grow. Our process is to archive these files onto tape. However, I'm having nothing but problems with these big files.

I make a new backup set for each batch of HD footage that needs to be archived. I want to verify the backup. So, first problem is that the verify fails on all files over 2GB. I get an error "Can't read file 'RD10-03 HD', error -39 (unexpected end of file), path: foo" in the Retrospect log. However, it appears that the files are successfully backed up to tape. I can probably live with this, but I'd like to fix it. Also, to be honest I haven't backed up one of these large files since I updated to 5.0.205. It might be fixed.

The second and much more critical problem is that when restoring these over 2 GB files, I can't send them to the Retrospect clients. They will restore perfectly to the tape server's local hard drive, but to the client they stop at exactly 2GB, and I get an error "Trouble writing files, error -34 (volume full)" which is of course not the case. I have almost 800 GB free on the CineWave's RAID. I have also tried to restore the large files to other clients with similar results. Smaller files restore with no problems.

Any suggestions? OS X on the client is not yet a viable option, restoring these files to the tape server's local drive is not an option, and splitting the files into smaller than 2GB chunks (like we did before Retrospect 5) is not acceptable either. I'm not too sure about OS X on the beige G3 for a variety of reasons--SCSI card incompatibilities, etc etc etc. HELP!

Thanks in advance,

Bob

--

Bob Hayes

Systems Administrator

Artbeats Digital Film Library

http://www.artbeats.com

(541) 863-4429

> I get an error "Can't read file 'RD10-03 HD', error -39 (unexpected end of file), path: foo" in the Retrospect log. However, it appears that the files are successfully backed up to tape. I can probably live with this, but I'd like to fix it. Also, to be honest I haven't backed up one of these large files since I updated to 5.0.205. It might be fixed.

What version did you get this error with? Any shipping build of 5 can back up files of larger than 2 GB. Do you get this on all files > 2 GB?

The error -39 makes me think that this file is NOT getting copied correctly to the tape.

> The second and much more critical problem is that when restoring these over 2 GB files, I can't send them to the Retrospect clients.

You are trying to restore them directly to the client, correct? All the latest versions of Retrospect? What if you try restoring that file to another client computer?

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

> What version did you get this error with?color=blue>

Workgroup 5.0.205 with Client 5.0.201.

> Any shipping build of 5 can back up files of larger than 2 GB.color=blue>

Hmm. Apparently not across a network. I was told by Dantz paid tech support earlier today that this is a known issue. The files might back up, but they don't restore across a network. And they don't verify either.

> Do you get this on all files > 2 GB? color=blue>

All the ones I've tried it on are QuickTime clips, and all of them failed.

> The error -39 makes me think that this file is NOT getting copied correctly to

> the tape. color=blue>

I've only restored one larger than 2 GB file to the local tape server machine, and I can't verify that it restored correctly or not. I'm planning on doing some other testing later today or tomorrow. But our real work around for this (crippling) known issue is to segment all files larger than 2 GB. That is inconvenient, but not absolutely unworkable.

> You are trying to restore them directly to the client, correct?color=blue>

Yes. And to the Mac that has the AIT-2 library attached.

> All the latest versions of Retrospect?color=blue>

Yes.

> What if you try restoring that file to another client computer? color=blue>

Same result.

Thanks,

Bob

--

Bob Hayes

Systems Administrator

Artbeats Software, Inc.

http://www.artbeats.com

(541) 863-4429