DVD problem

I have just installed a DVD drive (LG 4082B), and am having a problem. My OS is Windows XP, and have Retrospect 6.5. The computer is showing the device installed ok, and have done a successful configuration in Retrospect. The problem arises when I try to back up: it doesn't seem to be recognizing the drive. Am I missing something obvious, or could this be a larger problem?

Hi

What do you mean by "it doesn't seem to be recognizing the drive"? Does an error message come up? If so please post it here.

Does the device show in configure->devices in Retrospect? Have you selected cd/dvd as the backup set type?

Thanks

Nate

Thanks for suggestions. Here are further details of the situation.

Original Drive in use: Samsung SP8004H Ver. QW10 (CD-RW)

New Drive: LG4082B 8X +/- OEM #7721

In Retrospect:

New drive shows as:

Vendor: HL-DT-ST

Product: DVDRAM GSA-4082B Ver. A201

When I launch a backup, screen comes up indicating select a new disc (a new one is already in the drive).

Device: HL-DT-ST CD-RW - RDI (TAO)

When I click on Environment, highlighted drive is SAMSUNG SP8004H

Activity Monitor shows:

Immediate Backup: Waiting for media.

If this sheds any more light, a comment on the most probable, effective, solution would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Hello;

I have gone back & done a reconfiguration, and then created a new backup set using CD/DVD as the backup device. The medium is CD-RW, as is configured. So everything should be ok so far. In Activity Monitor, Executing shows waiting for media. It will then show Error, Can't use open File Backup option for..... (One execution runninng... continues at bottom of screen).

In Storage Devices, Environment, when DVD is highlighted, and right click on refresh, the highlighted disk goes back to the old storage device.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks,

D.

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. When I try that it still comes up "unknown." I press eject, and that works. The drive shows empty. When I insert it again, it still comes up unknown. An associate suggested going to the LG website, and downloading any updated firmware or drivers, but have been unable to find any.

Thanks,

D.

Hi

Is the Intel Application Accelerator program installed? If so try removing it to see if you have better luck. You should also try a test backup with other burning software uninstalled.

You are using blank disks out of the package right? Formatting the disk can cause problems in some cases.

Thanks

Nate

Hi,

I have needed updated firmware on a couple of LG dvd writers, and I believe their is an update for the drive you are using, at this link: us.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp

(under device drivers which will upgrade you from a201 to a206. My experience with LG's is that there is often software issues as well (per Nate's comments above). In particular, it is important to uninstall any "autodetect" software that comes with the drive. ie. when you are in windows, and a blank dvd is put in the drive, if a program automatically starts up and asks you what you would like to do with the DVD, then you need to uninstall that program or disable the autodetect.

One other thing, I recall that a 40 pin ide cable that came with the 4082 DVD writer, however for it to effectively use DMA settings, it was necessary to use an 80 pin cable. Prior cd writers never made use of the 80 pin cable, but some dvd writers are. If you are persistent, you should be able to get it working.

Good luck!

Hello;

Thanks for some very good ideas. I have upgraded to a206 firmware, and uninstalled the "autodetect" software. It is still not working (I don't think the drive was showing "ready" before, which it does at the start now) but believe am still using a 40 pin ide cable. Will work on making this change, and let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

Hello;

Have now upgraded to an 80 pin ide cable ( going through the learning curve of having to find out the red line goes on the right), and am still getting an "unknown" message. Did another configure, and checked to make sure the drive is working with CD's that have Word documents on them. My girlfriend says I've spent enough time on this, and to try another backup program. I want to solve this problem. One tech guy suggested I might have to wait until the next upgrade to the firmware comes out. Any further suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi

Make sure you have disabled or uninstalled any other burning programs. Other than that there isn't much more to try. You could do a clean install of the operating system but there is no guarantee that it will resolve the problem. The unknown status message indicates a that Retrospect is failing to communincate with the device properly. Usually that means hardware failure...

nate

The saga continues!

I decided to try DVD's to see if that would make a difference (rather than CD-RW). First tried to configure one, and received message "Retrospect was unable to configure this drive with inserted DVD-RW media." Decided to reinstall the burner software that came with the DVD drive, and see if it would burn ok. It would copy, but not burn. Was told the media can make a difference, so purchased some Memorex DVD+RW (4X), and it burned fine with them. Went back to Retrosect, and tried to configure this again. It would not configure. In Environment it shows Device Unknown, and Status Incompatible (it was showing status Unknown when trying to use CD-RW's). Uninstalled the burner software again, and still the same thing. Numerous error messages have been triggered to Dantz. It would appear to me that Retrospect is the problem. Does Dantz ever respond to the error messages, or is it necessary to sign up for support before any help is offered? Do they ever offer downloads that help to overcome such problems? As always, any experiences or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.

Hi

Sad to say but something is preventing Retrospect from working properly with this drive. To be honest it looks like a hardware problem to me. Otherwise I would suggest reinstalling windows (ouch)

At this point the best you can do is keep an eye out for driver updates. You can certainly call support about it but I'm not sure they will be able to help either.

BTW I am a Tech Support Engineer for Dantz.

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Hello;

Am still trying to solve this problem. I have downloaded Version A207 for the LG DVDRAM GSA-4082B drive. Tried to use a DVD+RW, and received a message Assertion failure at "module.cpp-457". A log of this error has been written to the file "assert_log.utx". I have also received a recommendation to try a DVD-R disc. With that received a message that it was write-protected. It looks like it is closer to working, but still not quite. Any new ideas are always appreciated.

Thanks

Archived