I just want to back up 3 folders, why so hard?

naegelin

I have just purchased a Seagate USB tape drive that comes with the retrospect express 5.5 software.I am running windows xp pro. My backup needs are very very very simple. I need to back up three folders on my primary hard drive c:\ and absolutely nothing else. I've tried many things including making multiple volumes per script but that does not seem to work as I get an "out of sync" error after the first volume is backed up. Can someone please tell me how to go about performing a simple backup for my three folders?

Thanks!

When using Windows XP, you should use Retrospect 5.6, which is XP certified. 5.5 is not compatible with Windows XP.

Upgrade at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=download_software#WP

The following is from the Knowledgebase:

Catalog out of sync appending to tape under Windows XP

With certain tape drives you may see a catalog out of sync error when attempting to append to a backup set when running under Windows XP with Retrospect 5.6. This is caused by extra polling added in Windows XP to various tape drivers. Particularly affected are Travan drives using ATAPI, USB, or IEEE 1394 transports.

We are reviewing a long term fix for this, but have a simple workaround in the short run:

Disable the tape driver for the device you are using with Retrospect in the Device Manager.

To do this, choose My Computer in the Start menu, then move up one level (type Backspace). Right click on My Computer, and choose Manage. In the Computer Management window, click on Device Manager, find your tape drive, right click on it, and choose "Disable". This disables the operating system tape driver that is interfering with Retrospect backups. Retrospect does not require or use this tape driver, so your Retrospect backups will now function properly.

Archived