Client search fails even though test succeeds

tfincannon

I have a Retrospect client running on WinXP Pro that cannot be found by the Piton Name Service. I followed the advice in other posts to no avail: I uninstalled Norton Internet Security and turned off the Internet Connection Firewall entirely. The machine is on the same subnet as the machine running Retrospect Pro 6.5, and I can ping it.

The client is not found when I do Configure > Clients > Add. Yet when I click Test and enter its IP address, it is found (version 6.5.136).

Apparently the problem is with the Piton Name Service and its multicast operation. I might try reinstalling the NIC drivers to see if multicast starts working again. Is there anything else to try?

There is a real simple solution to this problem: just enter the IP address instead of searching for the client. Why is an additional license required for this? And what would I need to buy exactly? I would be happy to spend real money just to solve this problem, even though it's hard for me to understand why it should be necessary. But I can't figure out what I'm supposed to buy from the Dantz website. There is no "Client Networking License" anywhere to be found. What is it and where do I buy it?

Thanks, Todd

Hi

You would need to have Retrospect Single server in order to do this. If you are backing up exclusively to hard disk you could also use the Retrospect disk to disk product.

Connect by direct IP address allows you to cross multiple subnets. This is a feature that is limited to server editions of Retrospect.

Have you tried connecting the client and server machine directly via a crossover cable. Windows XP has a built in firewall - have you disabled that too? Are you using dual Nics or VPN software?

Thanks

Nate

Archived