Help! Widespread tape failure!

I have a client with an Sony SDT-9000 (DDS-3) tape drive. They've been using Retrospect to do incremental backups onto Sony 125m media for the last six months. Verification has always been on.

Three days ago, I needed to restore something for them. As requested by Retrospect, I put in the third of four tapes. The drive chugged for quite a while, then Retrospect displayed the dreaded "Content Unrecognized" in the media window. I tried again to no avail. Then I tried inserting the other three tapes and ALL of them were unrecognized! Cleaned the drive a few times, but it still couldn't read the tapes. I tried to write and verify a new tape and that failed too. So, I figured that the drive was toast and sent it back to the vendor. This is where things get interesting...

In order to accomplish the restore, I rented a Seagate DDS-3 drive for a day. Frighteningly, this drive couldn't read any of the tapes either! It was able to recognize them (which was more than I could say for the Sony), but I got -206 errors when trying to retrieve ANY data.

The tapes have been sitting on the same desktop for months. As far as I know, they haven't been exposed to any severe magnetic fields or heat. What could be going on? How do I retrieve the data? Help!

Thanks.

Can you try the operation on another computer? There are a few other factors here besides the drive and the tapes. Try another SCSI card, another cable, another terminator, and another computer.

It's possible that the tapes have been damaged, btu it's also possible that there's some communication breakdown between the drive and the computer.

Archived