v5.1 constantly freezes

We upgraded to version 5.1.167 a few months ago when we replaced our old server with a G4 and the dongle was no longer compatible. It worked fine for a couple of weeks and then started crashing the server so we disabled it and performed manual backups for a while. However I now really need to get it working again.

Whenever I start Retrospect (regardless of whether it is the program directly or from an alias), I get the splash screen, the cursor changes to a couple of 'cogs' and then the Mac freezes. I've tried doing a complete clean install but the same thing happens as soon as I enter the licence information. I've also tried downloading and installing v5.1.177 from the website to no effect.

Creating a base set of extensions plus the Retrospect extensions also does not work. Turning off File Sharing and Virtual memory also don't solve the problem. The server works perfectly for weeks on end (running Leonardo ISDN software, an EPSON RIP server, Suitcase Server and performing file sharing duties) without requiring a restart, but dies as soon as Retrospect is started.

The machine is running OS 9.2.2, has 768MB RAM (+768MB virtual RAM), CarbonLib 1.6. Retrospect has 128MB RAM allocated to it (tried all sorts of amounts).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm not a MAC expert in the same way as I am with Windows, so detailed explanations please.

Many thanks

Tennant confused.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I had never heard of that. It must be a very old version of Retrospect.

Since you are using Retrospect 5.1 now it is probably best to uninstall any old versions of Retrospect client and reinstall with the 5.1 client. It is complatible with OS 7.6 and above.

Are you using an old backup set from Retrospect 4.x? If so go to configure-> backup sets, click on the set, open the options tab and manually separate the catalog.

Thanks

Naate

It is a completely clean install of Retrospect 5.1 on a clean install of OS 9.2.2. Although not a new Mac, the hard disk has been completely reformatted and all the software clean installed from original disks for its new rold as a server.

Tennant

Hi

Turn off virtual memory on the machine and allocate 50MB of memory to the Retrospect in a get info window (apple key + I).

If you have not allready run the uninstaller from the Retrospect setup program, Reboot and reinstall.

Thanks

Nate

Virtual memory is off, and Retrospect has 64MB allocated to it...although I've tried numerous different amounts...all with no effect.

It has been uninstalled and re-installed a few times, including removing all the preferences etc. Sometimes this will allow Retrospect to run once, but then it will crash again the next time.

Tennant

Try this: Go to Control Panels>File Sharing. In the File Sharing section make sure "Enable File Sharing clients to connect over TCP/IP" is chosen (checked).

I may be wrong but I don't think Retrospect 5.x can use AppleShareIP to "talk" to clients. It must be using TCP/IP for it to work. You will probably have to restart your machine for the changes to take effect.

Hope this helps.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I hate to say this but the OS install may be corrupt. I know reinstalling the OS on OS9 isn't too tough but I've never done it so I can't say for sure. The fact that you still have trouble with a base extension set is a good sign that something is wrong on a system level.

Thanks

nate

• 2 weeks later...

OK...done a completely clean install of OS 9 then upgraded it to 9.2.2. Retrospect would run once, get about 10% into the network backup and then the Mac would freeze. After rebooting it's back to the same problem of the Mac freezing every time I open Retrospect.

How do I go about getting my money back, as I've wasted too much time, effort and money on this product now; and need to look for an alternative?

Tennant

Archived