True background backup

schickb

I am evaluation Retrospect 6.5 Pro on a standalone WinXP system. I'd like to run scheduled (automated) backups totally in the background. All of my backups are to an extra internal drive, so there doesn't need to be any user intervention.

Can I prevent the Retrospect application from opening up when a script is run? Several non-admin users use the system and they do not know what to do when Retrospect appears.

Even for users who do understand what Retrospect is for, it is very jarring for the application to suddenly open and steal input focus. I realize I can uncheck the “Automatically launch Retrospect” option, but then backups do not occur unless someone knows to double click the system tray notification.

So is it possible to run scheduled backups totally in the background without interfering with the current user.

Hi

At the moment the answer is unfortunately "no". The Retrospect screen is going to pop up no matter what.

This doesn't happen when you backup a computer via Retrospect client but that would require you setting up a seperate backup machine.

Thanks

Nate

• 7 months later...

I have a client with a small branch office and no server on that site. Retrospect runs on a workstation that sees only part time use. I get around having Retrospect show in the console by setting it to run at system startup through an item in the Windows Task Scheduler. Set your task to run as Administrator and it will not show up in the user's session.

Archived