# New media backup prompting for "select a disk"

pcguy99

I am trying to perform a full back up of a hard drive volume to another hard drive each day without over writing or adding to the existing backup. I have therefore selected New Media as the action. However someone has to be there to select the other hard drive each time the job is run. Is this normal when backing up to a hard drive? I hope not.

Hi

A new-media backup to a Disk backup set will always prompt for media before executing. There isn't a way around it that I know of.

Your best bet is to use a "file" backup set instead. That will automatically create the new backup file as you are hoping to do. It will not prompt for user input.

Thanks

Nate

Hi

The Max file size for NTFS is 1 Terabyte so that shouldn't be a problem unless you are using windows 98 as the backup machine.

You are correct that the file backup sets cannot span disks. In your case you will just have to keep an eye on the free space left on the disk. When it gets full you can move the last set to another drive and have Retrospect continue making the new media sets there.

Either that or you can erase or move old backup sets off of the primary backup disk.

Thanks

Nate

Archived