Error 1017 trying to use Open file backup on XP.

grivest

I am having the same issue. I have a server running Windows Server 2003 and five clients all running XP Pro SP2. If you can believe this, three clients can use open file backup, but two get the dreaded 1017 eror immediately. I can't see any difference between the clients at all. Here's the setup:

All clients are at Retrospect Client 6.5.136

Server is Single Server 6.5.350

Server's disks are mirrored in software with Server 2003.

Volume Shadow Copy service is Automatic and Started on all clients.

System Restore is Manual and Stopped for all clients. (doesn't affect result, though)

Ports 135 (TCP and UDP) are closed on all clients (doesn't affect result)

Launcher service is disabled (doesn't affect result)

Don't protect multi-volume datasets.

Nate,

The event log states:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine

CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154.

0000: 58455542 00434c4d 00333133 00000000

0010: 58455542 00434c4d 00383033 00000000

So the problem appears to be with XP, not Dantz. I have tried to reinstall COM+, but with no luck.

Any further ideas? The closest I've come is:

http://www.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin/2003-10/2483.html

Harold

Hi

I've been looking for ways to reinstall corrupt windows services for a while now . Sad to say I can't find a thing about it.

Did the open file backup ever work on your machine? Its extreme but you could try to use Retrospect to restore back to that point in time...

Sorry I can't be of more help

Nate

Hi

It may just be bad luck but I have never seen that do anything but cause more problems.

The thing is, you don't need open file backup to do a full backup or system restore. Its a nice feature but it is by no means required. You could just turn off the open file backup option and go from there. A few files may report errors during backup but we can take a look and see if you need them for restore or not.

Thanks

Nate

The reason we want to use Open File Backup is that we do backups during business hours. If Open File Backup option is not used, users get booted out of Outlook and Word when the backup software runs over their files.

I'm trying the in-place re-installation. I'll let you know what happens.

Harold

The simplest way to solve the problem of shadow copy service - without reinstalling WindowsXP - is to tun this line command:

regsvr32 ole32.dll

After having run this command, stop the service (if necessary) and the run it again. That's enough to repair the registry errors.

Have a good luck!

Gianantonio

I thought I should report back that doing an in-place re-install of Windows worked perfectly. There was only one glitch, which might not have been related to the re-install. Categories I had added to the Master Category list for Outlook Contacts were mysteriously removed from the Master Category list. I had to re-add all the categories. Other than that, OFB works fine now.

Harold

• 1 year later...

Archived