Error 1017 trying to use Open file backup on XP.

grivest

I'm using 6.5.350 of Retrospect Pro.

I've been getting message 1017 for insufficient permissions on all my IDE NTFS volumes. I've found a few threads that indicate another userid should be created. I've done that, gave the new ID Admin, and I still have the error. These are all local drives. I setup security in Retrospect to run as the specific user I created. This is windows XP home edition.

I did upgrade to Pro from the version included with a Maxtor USB drive. I believe a clean install was done with an uninstall of the old version, but I'm not 100% sure.

I know only IDE or SCSI are supported for Open file backup. My source drive is IDE. My target is USB. Just to test I made the target an IDE partition. That resulted in the same message.

Help!

You shouldn't *have* to create another ID as long as the ID you're running RP under has admin privs. I assume you changed the ID inside RP under the Preferences->Security tab (as opposed to changing the Retrospect Launcher Service permissions), with a name, password and machine name or domain name (BTW, are you workgroup or domain?).

You mentioned "1017 insufficient permissions" but didn't say anything about an Open File Backup message so I assume that's not there. I recently ran into an OFB & 1017 error as discussed at the bottom of this thread:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=multiserver&Number=42347&Forum=All_Forums&Words=insufficient%20permissions&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=36252&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post42347

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Actually I am getting the open error. I checked the thread you listed. I'd found that one. My Volume Shadow copy is already set to automatic.

Here is my message:

Can't use Open File Backup option for WinXP (C:), error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

To volume Backup copy of WinXP © on MAXTOR (F:)...

Any other ideas?

This happens for any partition.

Thanks.

One observation. I'm running XP Pro while you're running Home. I run into lots of subtle hassles with non-Pro, mostly involving networking and group permssions. Maybe someone from Dantz or someone else with XP Home can chime in--does VSC (it's there so...) and OFB work OK under XP Home with Retro? Are there any login permssion issues?

Also, does your XP Home account have a password associated with it or is it blank/default? I recall some people having problems using Retro & accounts with no password.

Hello,

Yes, my Retrospect only account (and my normal Admin account) have passwords. I created a new ID as I was having problems setting my normal ID. I couldn't get the account info to take in Retrospect.

Any other ideas out there? The error still occurs.

Thanks,

George.

Hi

What do you mean that the user account would not take in Retrospect? Does specifiying other users work? Do you still have trouble if you run Retrospect using the "logged in user" setting?

Open file backup works on Windows XP home so I doubt that this the problem here. 1017 errors don't usually come up with open file issues anyway. I suspect you would see the same errors if you disable the "backup open files" option. Please try that and see.

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

My renamed Administrator account "George R. Rivest" gets the invalid account information when I try to set it up. I have to leave off the password, and then it fails at run time.

My newly created administrator account information does work.

I don't get the error message if I disable the backup open files option.

The error occurs immediately when looking at the volume itself. The C:, X: and Y: drives are all affected.

I don't get the error when backing up a client PC on my network. This is the main Retrospect 'server' box.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Hello,

I rechecked the Volume Shadow Copy service. It says it's started on automatic, however there is an event ID that says otherwise:

This is being posted when retrospect tries an open file backup:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: VSS

Event Category: None

Event ID: 5013

Date: 7/14/2004

Time: 9:12:13 PM

User: N/A

Computer: TIGRR24

Description:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Shadow Copy writer ContentIndexingService called routine RegQueryValueExW which failed with status 0x80070002 (converted to 0x800423f4).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 57 53 48 43 4f 4d 4e 43 WSHCOMNC

0008: 32 32 33 30 00 00 00 00 2230....

0010: 57 53 48 43 49 43 00 00 WSHCIC..

0018: 32 38 37 00 00 00 00 00 287.....

No help at microsoft.

It's followed by this:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: VSS

Event Category: None

Event ID: 12302

Date: 7/14/2004

Time: 9:12:15 PM

User: N/A

Computer: TIGRR24

Description:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An internal inconsistency was detected in trying to contact shadow copy service writers. Please check to see that the Event Service and Volume Shadow Copy Service are operating properly.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 42 55 45 43 58 4d 4c 43 BUECXMLC

0008: 33 36 32 34 00 00 00 00 3624....

0010: 42 55 45 43 58 4d 4c 43 BUECXMLC

0018: 33 35 39 34 00 00 00 00 3594....

Any ideas? This must be the problem, now how to fix it is the question.

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback.

No, starting the service manually does not allow the backup to run. I still get the same errors.

System restore is off.

I did turn it on, then back off. Same error.

I didn't reboot after turning it on though. I'll try that later.

Thanks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

If Windows services are failing there is no way for Retrospect to take advantage of them. As a result open file backup will not work until Windows is working properly.

Unfortunately I can't tell you how to repair Windows services. Microsoft may have more information on the subject.

Thanks

Nate

I've run into the same error on recent backups. I am running the latest version of 6.5. I do an immediate backup and a duplicate to both a Zip disk and an extenal hard drive. I have been backing up without any error until recently. Futhermore, since I have no open files during the backup, the backup is successful, except for reporting the Error 1017. I have annual maintenance, so I was able to speak directly to support. There evidently have been a number of reports on this error lately. The work around I was given was to shut Open file backup off, which is ok for me, since I do an immediate backup, and have little or nothing open. However, if support monitors this, this might be worth noting. I backed up without error on 7/14/04. My next backup was not until 7/31, when I first noted the error. The only system changes that I had in the interim were updates of Norton Virus definitions, and several Windows Updates. Is it possible that a Windows Update form that period (7/14-31, 2004), is causing the error? I'm not a tech, bit its worth noting

Quote:

Is it possible that a Windows Update form that period (7/14-31, 2004), is causing the error? I'm not a tech, bit its worth noting

I was wondering that myself as I'm getting errors that correspond to VSC errors in the OS's Event Viewer pane. The machine that I'm having OFB (Volume Shadow Copy Service under XP SP1) problems with is very static--it's a file server with no direct user interaction, no use of IE, *rare* program changes (not in months).

It does have Norton AntiVirus running on it (real-time turned off, just scans once a month). The only thing I do to it manually, maybe once a month, is install MS's critical updates. So the two things that would have changed recently are NAV's virus updates and Windows Updates.

For the record I've had this problem for awhile. Since 5/2004, but maybe earlier. My log is truncated.

Thanks for the update about support seeing other calls. This is really bad for servers. I'm running on a client so I also backup everything OK. The odd temp file fails. I use distributed computing so my PC is never 'idle.'

The error codes I have show that VSC fails the same no matter if it's started manually or automatically. I love the 'if the feature fails, turn it off answer!' LOL.

Yes, this seems to be a Microsoft issue, but they charge as well and knowledge base doesn't seem to show my error. I hope Retrospect can jump in here.

Sorry about my previous 'impatient' query's about support. I missed the fact that this thread now spans 2 pages. Man is my face red.

Thanks for the feedback folks. Can anyone jump in here? I debug for a large corporation. I can get any needed traces is anyone knows what I should collect!

The backup of a client from my PC (with a retrospect client license) seems to run with open file backup just fine. Only this PC fails.

Thanks!

Hi

Grasping at straws here:

Is a firewall aplication blocking access to port 135? Some things I have read say that the port is used by Volume Shadow copy.

Volume Shadow copy uses RPC which is a security risk. Have you changed the secruity level of the machine?

Try disabling the system restore feature and rebooting the machine once. Can you start the shadow copy service then?

Thanks

Nate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi

The errors in your system log make it appear that the volume shadow copy service is broken on your machine. I understand your frustration but there isn't much Dantz support can do to fix broken Windows components.

In the old days the remedy was to format and reinstall. Aside from talking to Microsoft about how to reinstall this service I'm afraid I don't have any other ideas for you.

Thanks

Nate

Archived