-35 to previously avail NT volume

I've been running Retr4.3 from a G3 and picking up WinNT clients with no problem until we made a change

on a particular NT server. This machines c:\ and f:\ volumes have been browseable from first install of the

client and I've been backing up the f:\ volume for a year now. Recently, since f:\ was made an Appleshare

volume to the Mac population, backup of f:\ has failed and attempting to browse gives a -35 error although

the c:\ startup drive is browseable. Windows admin made no permissions changes to the f:\ volume.

Configure>Volumes>Forget disappeared the f:\ from the Client list, but I can't put it back into the Volume list,

since conditions haven't changed. This f:\ volume is being served and available to both Win and Mac networks,

and is being backed up using Legato on UNIX. However, I'd like Retro to work again on this volume - please help!

lance@designory.com

Hi, Irena!

mac Server is 4.x, Win NT client is 5.x

Does the fact alone that a Win client has mac Services enabled, make the Win file system partially or unpredictably unavailable for backup?

We reinstalled the Win client, uninstalled and reinstalled the Mac Services on Win, and permission issues seem to prevent some folders from being backed up when, before Mac Services was enabled, all folders were seen and backedup.

Can you be more specific about the version of the client and application?

What operating system are both computers running?

Services for Mac will not affect permissions for files or folders, so I don't think that's the problem.

I have this same problem to local drive. We have a dedicated backup server running OS 10.1.4 (or whatever the latest patch is) with a big UFS formatted IDE disk. There are several directories in the root of this disk are each tagged as a volume.

About half the time after backing up I'll go to check the next scheduled script and it will give me an error -35, directory no longer exits or was moved, on the first volume in the list. I've found that I just need to go to the volumes button on the Configure tab and select the disk and say Subvolume and cancel the dialog. Then all the volumes will light up again and I can backup again.

Oh, BTW, I consider it pretty important that my backups be automatic with only tape changing required. Opening up the application and clicking some stuff in the interface to get the backup started kind of goes against this. I'd like to see a fix for this problem in the next rollup (which should be free for reg. users of course)

Really. It seems to work just fine though I admit I've only tested restoring to a HFS drive. Well, I tried to use Retrospect but I guess it's back to Linux and Arkeia for me. Unless you're planning on supporting a case-correct file system anytime soon.

Archived