incorrect media request

bit of an odd one.....

I've been doing our daily incremental backup and RS seems to have got confused (or at least I have !).

This is currently on 17 tapes (labeled 1 to 17 -incremental 1 in usual RS style). I have another 9 (18 to 26) erased/labeled/added _to_backup set loaded in the library. All these tapes are barcoded and RS seems to know what they all are . When I want to run the backup it is asking for new media. It is requesting a tape 27 (with the same barcode as tape 17) - my only real option is to click choices.....skip or missing.

If I set the tape missing (RS thinks this is 27 that I have set missing) then tape 17 shows as missing in 'backup sets...properties'. If I choose skip then I am asked to put in a new tape 28. I can see that tapes 18 to 26 are present...show as erased.....and are defined as being part of the backup set (all barcodes are correct).

this backup set is getting pretty big (1.6 gig) - but it has been working fine so far.

suggestions anyone ?

si

win2k3 server - latest versions of retrospect/driver

Hi

The barcodes for tapes 17 and 27 are unique right? It sounds like Retrospect just has them confused?

Try running a scan media operation. If the problems continue hold down the shift key and click on the eject all button. That should clear the contents of the loader table.

If you still have trouble go to properties of the autoloader in the configure -Devices window and turn off bar code support temporarily and run another scan media.

Thanks

Nate

thanks for your reply....

there isn't a barcode for 27 as it doesn't exist yet. It is certainly confusing tape 17 with tape 27 - but I don't think it is a barcode reader issue. All the barcodes look correct (and are unique). I put in a call to Dantz tech support and they suggested that the catalog was corrupt. I did a catalog rebuild from an earlier tape (tape 14) and tried the backup again. This time it asked for tape 15 to continue to append to. I put in tape 15 and it wouldn't allow it (it still had data on from the previous backups). I was allowed to mark tape missing and replace. I replaced it with another tape and then got the ridiculous "too different from other media" error message. (it is exactly the same tape!)

I am trying to rebuild the catalog from the previous tape and keeping my fingers crossed.

si

Archived