What drives do I need to copy? Am I doing this right?

Hello,

I am trying to a full backup of my Exchange Server using Retrospect 5.6 with the Exchange Agent. I am a little unsure of what drives I need to copy.

I am running Exchange Server 2000 on the same Windows 2000 Server that Retrospect is installed on.

I know that I need to save my System Drive (C:), my Log Files (M:), plus the folder that I have backed a copy of my Exchange Database to using the Exchange Agent (I have backed up the database to a network drive on another computer).

These volumes are all being backed up to a Sony AIT-1 Tape Drive.

This is where I become a little confused.

Do I need to backup my Exchange (M:) Drive to tape?

Do I need to backup my Exchange (D:) Drive to tape?

First off, my understanding is that the (M:) Drive is virtual and it is recommended that I do not back this up. It is the same size as the (D:) Drive.

My concern with the (D:) Drive is that it backs up sooooo slowly. Am I right in assuming that it is slow because the Exchange Server is live when the (D:) Drive is being backed up to tape? I get on average anywhere between 100MB/min and 300MB/min backing up any other drive from any other computer, including other volumes on my mail server, yet the (D:) Drive backs up at less than 10MB/min.

I am wondering what my options are (I would prefer not to shut the server down during the backup).

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

btaplin

Hi

The M drive is virtual and cannot be restored. We recommend not backing it up.

The exchange agent uses a Microsoft API to copy all of the Exchange data to a flat file. Retrospect then backups that file as it would any other.

To backup Exchange:

Set the Exchange agent to run before your Retrospect backup starts. Once complete do a backup of the OS system disk (you need registry/active directory information) and the folder you have specified in the setup of the exchange agent.

As another alternative you may want to consider Retrospect 6.5 and the Exchange agent add on. The functionality is much better.

Nate

Hello Nate,

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry I made a mistake in my earlier post.

What I am doing right now is using the Exchange Agent to backup my data to another folder.

Inside that folder the Exchange Agent creates a folder called 'InfStore.2k' and inside that folder another called 'First Storage Group'.

Inside this folder a number of files are created:

priv1.edb

priv1.stm

pub1.edb

pub1.stm

RtrExchg.ini

and so far an additional 75 log files.

I am backing up to tape:

System Drive (C:)

Exchange Drive (D:)

Logs Drive (L:)

Exchange Agent Folder and Files

I am not backing up to tape:

Virtual Drive (M:)

Is this right?

Does the Exchange Drive (D:) need to be saved to tape?

My Exchange Drive (D:) includes folders called:

'D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\ADDRESS'

'D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\AMCMAIL.log'

'D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\BIN'

'D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\CONNDATA'

'D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_AMCMAIL'

'D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\exchweb'

'D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot'

'D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA'

'D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MTADATA'

'D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\RES'

'D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\SCHEMA'

'D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\srsdata'

Does the Exchange Agent copy all of the folders above or just the 'D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA' folder?

My assumption is that I have to backup the System Drive (C:), the Exchange Drive (D:), the Logs Drive (L:) and the Exchange Agent Folder and Files to tape, but I am still unclear.

Thanks again,

btaplin

Hi

The best bet with Exchange is to backup the entire machine which it sounds like you are doing. The exchange agent exports all of the exchange data but doesn't get all of the settings. I think you are wise in backing up the system drive and the drive that exhange is installed on.

Nate

Archived