error -206, "drive reported a failure"

I've been using Retrospect for more than six months. We use a different tape every night. I'm using an HP Ultrium SureStor drive (double-checked the hardware compatibility already). The Friday before last I started getting -206 errors. The text reads: Trouble writing tape name ( tape number? ), error -206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

After the first time I ran the cleaning tape through, and I've done that another time. I shut the server and backup drive down, and started back up. Still getting the error. During the day I run a proactive backup of our laptops, and that's been running fine. This week and last weeks Tuesday backups finished okay, though it is worth noting that last Tuesday used a fresh tape . Each tape is only used once every 4 weeks. They've probably been used 8 times each at most. It seems odd that 5 tapes would have a problem at once.

Under Devices, Environment the tape drive reads as: ID 1:3, Vendor HP, Product Ultrium 2-SCSI, Version F3AD, Driver HP Ultrium Gen 2 DC (1.41).

I'm running version 6.5.336. So, I am due to update the software though it had been running fine. No errors show up in my Windows 2000 server log files. Any suggestions? I'm not exactly budgeted to replace all my tapes.

Thank you!

Strangely enough I just been having the same problems with HP ultrium 2 drive in our overland library.

After working fine for months it generated the same error. I gave it a clean (the first in a year !) - It worked ok for a few hours then generated the error again. I risked one more clean but it kept happening for about a week. This has now happened with quite a few tapes so I am sure it is the drive not the tape that is having the problems.

After a bit of research seemed to be some issue with cleaning tapes and early versions of the firmware on HP ultrium drives ....

http://support.overlandstorage.com/jive/entry!default.jspa?categoryID=7&entryID=2074&fromSearchPage=true

....and after call to Overland tech support I flashed latest firmware. Still no joy so Overland have sent me a replacement drive, which I have just fitted. I am fairly convinced that problem will disappear - but it doesn't help pinpoint the issue.

My guess (?) is that the drive generates a 'clean me' message when it has problems reading/writing/verifying tapes. In this instance the drive is so dirty/worn that a cleaning tape isn't effective enough so the message comes back - or the firmware of the drive isn't resetting the tape error count properly so that it thinks that it is always on the verge of needing a clean.....just guesses

So problem lies with drive not retrospect (which is a first !)

si

(latest retrospect and rdu build)

Hi

Retrospect won't give a 206 error unless it had trouble reading/writing to the tape. If the drive appears to be working properly you might want to investitgate device communication problems, SCSI drivers, Cabling etc. It is also possible that the tapes are bad too.

Do you keep these tapes in the same place? Could they all have been exposed to heat or moisture?

Nate

I'm getting the -206 tape cleaning message when I try to back up to an external HD (no tapes involved). I use Retrospect 6.0.178 attempting to backup to an external 120GB Hitachi "Deskstar" HD that is equipped with a WiebeTech SuperDock SDD.

Note: Retrospect performs flawlessly when it backs up the same files to the same HD installed as an internal HD.

Does anybody know of compatibility issues with the WiebeTech SuperDock ??

Archived