"Run as specified user" doesn't seem to work

peterlin

I'm trying to set up Retrospect 6.5 to allow a non-admin user to manually run saved backup scripts and to allow scheduled backups to occur. Even though I enter an admin username, password, and local computer name (since there's no domain and I'm only doing local backups) in the Security preferences, running Retrospect as a non-admin user will still give an error message about the requirement of administrator priveleges, and backups will fail.

I'm using the latest version, 6.5.350 and Windows XP Pro SP1. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi

Non-Admin users will not be able to launch Retrospect to start backups or modify settings. You may be able to get around this by using a "run document". Run documents are Icons that you can click to kick off a script. You can create them from the "run" menu in Retrospect.

Nate

Even if I create a run-script, Retrospect loads as the local user when it is run. I spoke with tech support yesterday, and there doesn't seem to be a way to allow a non-admin user to manually run a script. I think this is a huge flaw in Retrospect. I want my client to be able to execute a run script on Friday before they go home, so they can take a backup with them. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to do this unless I give them administrator priveleges in Windows, which would be a disaster.

Hi

As a workaround you can set a Retrospect script to run every night at a set time. Use the Retrospect preference to shut down the machine when finished. The user can then just log out when they go home - Retrospect will handle the rest.

Nate

Archived