4x superdrive in new powerbooks (matshita UJ-825)

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had any success creating a custom configuration for use with the 4x "superdrive" in the new powerbooks?

I've tried to make a configuration and came across two problems:-

1. It wouldn't accept a CD-RW. All the other media types were fine but it kept spitting the CD-RW out.

2. It created a configuration for CD-R, DVD±R/W but when I now go and try to use it if wont work (I think it an error 100 (?), device rejected command" or something like that).

I'm currently in the process of trying again (just with RWs this time!) to see if I can get it to work. I would love to know if anyone else has had any success.

Regards,

Adrian

Retrospect 6

Powerbook 15inch, 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM

Quote:

1. It wouldn't accept a CD-RW. All the other media types were fine but it kept spitting the CD-RW out.

I was watching the log while I try to build another configuration and it looks like Retrospect is treating the CD-RW media as DVD+RW for some reason... weird...

I tried 4x and 4-10x CD-RWs...

Adrian

OK, after 10 (!) attempts I finally got a configuration to go through all the media types again (with the exception of CD-RW which still comes up as DVD+RW).... (note 1)

When I went to try this configuration it worked fine for a small backup onto a DVD-RW. I then tried a larger backup onto DVD+R and it failed with the 100 error (device rejected command). I'm now trying with a DVD-R and it seems to be going OK (if somewhat slowly which I believe is typical for DVD-Rs using write method 2?).

I'm wondering if some of the problem is due to the fact that Retrospect has choosen different write methods for the different media?

I'll try a few more backups over the next couple of days and see what happens...

Adrian

NOTE 1 - one of the reasons I had so many attempts was that Retrospect would not eject DVD+RWs after testing them in configuration process. Even the Finder could not eject them until I restarted. Obviously this didn't happen all the time and it hasn't happened with Toast 5.2.3. I don't know whether this is a bug in Retrospect, OS X or the drive firmware but something is clearly not 100%

• 8 months later...

Archived