Roxio Easy Media conflict

smackmick

I just purchased the new Roxio Easy Media software. I wanted to be able to do some drag and drop to my DVD more easily. I guess the drag and drop has a feature that auto formats the new disk when it is inserted. Roxio does not understand the Retrospec format, so any backup in the drive gets erased. I am not sure what Retrospec can do about this. I am going to disable the auto load of this, or uninstall the package for a while. I have a note on the Roxio forum. So beware, if you load the software and reboot as they recommend, your backup is gone.

I believe there's an option to handle this.

I'm running a test, be back soon ...

OK, I'm back.

I just inserted a blank CD-RW media in a CD-RW drive.

Drag2Disk did not format the media automagically.

I then dragged a file to D2D. D2D performed a quick format and copied the file.

OK, now the fun starts ...

I erased the CD-RW, which caused the CD-RW to be ejected.

I started Retrospect and did an Immediate backup to the CD-RW in a new backup set of type CD/DVD.

I noticed that Retrospect first erased the CD-RW media.

The media created by Retrospect appears to not conform to either ISO 9660 nor ISO/IEC 13346.

I ejected, then re-inserted the media.

This did not cause D2D to do anything.

I then started D2D and then inserted the media.

Again, D2D did not do anything.

I tried dragging a file from Windoze explorer to D2D.

D2D stated that the disk was read-only and could bot be recorded.

I then told D2D to do a format.

The only option offerred was a FULL format.

Of course, this will destroy the Retrospect back up set, so I will tell Retrospect to forget that backup set and delete its catalog.

All of the above seems to be as expected.

What are you doing differently?

I am using EMC 7.

It is possible that somehow I managed to erase that disk, but I never had before. I had put a blank DVD in, and Retrospec tried to format it, it started, but then complained that someone else had the drive. I then killed d2d and Retrospec could go ahead. When R. restarted, it said it could not understand the disk format and started over. It seemed that d2d was grabbing the drive and autoformatting it. I will try again tonight as I restarted a full backup. All I know is that my backup for the last month is gone :=(

I am also using EM7

There are serious issues here, Retrospec no longer acts normal. When I put in a new disk, the disk is reported locked by R. I usually have to try an eject, which then may mount it. Usually a blank window of the DVD drive comes up which I have to put away. Finally Retrospec can see the drive and mount it, but this is a pain and makes me paranoid.

However, I did take an old Retrospec disk that no longer had a catalog. I could see it in Retrospec being a member. Then I took a small file and loaded it to d2d. No complaints, and the backup was toast. I did not get the new file, but the old Retrospec format was also gone. Anyone know of a way to recover a CD like this? Actually, one of the errors in the original backup was that the CD/DVD header could not be written to. I think Roxio is tying it up.

I have d2d dead now, and I am thinking of uninstalling this software. No word from Roxio yet, I have a forum note up and also have filed a complaint with the support group.

Quote:

It is possible that somehow I managed to erase that disk, but I never had before. I had put a blank DVD in, and Retrospec tried to format it, it started, but then complained that someone else had the drive. I then killed d2d and Retrospec could go ahead. When R. restarted, it said it could not understand the disk format and started over. It seemed that d2d was grabbing the drive and autoformatting it. I will try again tonight as I restarted a full backup. All I know is that my backup for the last month is gone :=(

I am also using EM7

In another thread, I pointed out that media should not be inserted BEFORE Retrospect starts.

Otherwise, D2D, or some other program, will grab control of the drive.

This is a common problem as CD/DVD recording software tends to not play nice with other software.

Quote:

There are serious issues here, Retrospec no longer acts normal. When I put in a new disk, the disk is reported locked by R. I usually have to try an eject, which then may mount it. Usually a blank window of the DVD drive comes up which I have to put away. Finally Retrospec can see the drive and mount it, but this is a pain and makes me paranoid.

However, I did take an old Retrospec disk that no longer had a catalog. I could see it in Retrospec being a member. Then I took a small file and loaded it to d2d. No complaints, and the backup was toast. I did not get the new file, but the old Retrospec format was also gone. Anyone know of a way to recover a CD like this? Actually, one of the errors in the original backup was that the CD/DVD header could not be written to. I think Roxio is tying it up.

I have d2d dead now, and I am thinking of uninstalling this software. No word from Roxio yet, I have a forum note up and also have filed a complaint with the support group.

D2D is likely not the problem.

Do not insert the media BEFORE Retrospect has started.

Do not use D2D with media that was processed by Retrospect.

The underlying problem is that Retrospect does not allow us to properly use CD/DVD media, i.e., as a real disk with a real file system, instead it uses a propritary format.

An option is needed to use CD/DVD with Disk backup set.

I've not yet found a way to create a disk backup set on CD-RW media.

Does such an option exist?

Actually I am watching Retrospec as I insert the disk. Something else grabs it before Retrospec can react. I keep the backup on line all the time unless I want to cut something else, it needs to work unattended.

Too bad Retrospec cannot write a normal header so the disk looks like it is used. Looking at the Roxio pages I think their new software may have problems. I also had Sonic from Dell, I killed that. This morning the disk was kicked out, so I will wait one more day. I guess you are only supposed to have one program at a time, but life does not work that way....

Quote:

Actually I am watching Retrospec as I insert the disk. Something else grabs it before Retrospec can react. I keep the backup on line all the time unless I want to cut something else, it needs to work unattended.

Too bad Retrospec cannot write a normal header so the disk looks like it is used. Looking at the Roxio pages I think their new software may have problems. I also had Sonic from Dell, I killed that. This morning the disk was kicked out, so I will wait one more day. I guess you are only supposed to have one program at a time, but life does not work that way....

OK, so your problem is due to your inserting the media BEFORE Retrospect starts.

D2D has already grabbed the media before Retrospect starts, so you cannot just leave the media in the drive. There's, currently, as far as I know, no way around this problem, other than inserting the media AFTER the relevant program starts.

No, no, no. I am watching Retrospec running, I am watching the devices window. Nothing else is running but Retrospec!!!. I am watching the Retrospec screen when it goes pending. The screen keeps coming up asking me what I want to do with this disk (outside of Retrospec) . I have told it over and over to do nothing, and keep that setting. I have gone into the hardware configuration and told it to do nothing. Roxio crap is over everything, the drag and drop is in all the folders, it has corrupted all the normal settings.

Every morning the disk gets kicked out, wanting a new disk. The night before I have confirmed the disk is just fine for backup from Retrospec. I just uninstalled Roxio EM7. Guess what, I brought up Retrospec and for the first time (afer loading EM7), it immediately saw the right disk and did not balk at doing the back up. Life is good again.

Sorry, I have spent hours at this. Why is it the only info I get is from Retrospec, my forum and my support request have gone unaswered from Roxio. I think this is a very bad software release, and I would be very wary unless this is the only thing you have on your computer. I will request a full refund, and this is gone from my computer for a very long time. EM7 looks like a good addition, but it must play fair in the sandbox.

Hi

There is one more thing you can try in Retrospect (although it may not help). Type CTRL + ALT + P + P at any screen in Retrospect. On the device driver menu enable the option on the bottom regarding optical drives.

This is supposed to lock out optical drive access to other programs while Retrospect is running. I haven't had much better luck with it enabled but it is worth a shot...

Nate

Quote:

No, no, no. I am watching Retrospec running, I am watching the devices window. Nothing else is running but Retrospec!!!. I am watching the Retrospec screen when it goes pending. The screen keeps coming up asking me what I want to do with this disk (outside of Retrospec) . I have told it over and over to do nothing, and keep that setting. I have gone into the hardware configuration and told it to do nothing. Roxio crap is over everything, the drag and drop is in all the folders, it has corrupted all the normal settings.

Every morning the disk gets kicked out, wanting a new disk. The night before I have confirmed the disk is just fine for backup from Retrospec. I just uninstalled Roxio EM7. Guess what, I brought up Retrospec and for the first time (afer loading EM7), it immediately saw the right disk and did not balk at doing the back up. Life is good again.

Sorry, I have spent hours at this. Why is it the only info I get is from Retrospec, my forum and my support request have gone unaswered from Roxio. I think this is a very bad software release, and I would be very wary unless this is the only thing you have on your computer. I will request a full refund, and this is gone from my computer for a very long time. EM7 looks like a good addition, but it must play fair in the sandbox.

Unless you have stopped Drag To Disc, D2D is always running and will selfishly grab control of the drive if you insert media BEFORE Retrospect is fully loaded.

If you are inserting the media AFTER Retrospect is fully loaded, then there is a problem that Dantz must address

Quote:

Hi

There is one more thing you can try in Retrospect (although it may not help). Type CTRL + ALT + P + P at any screen in Retrospect. On the device driver menu enable the option on the bottom regarding optical drives.

This is supposed to lock out optical drive access to other programs while Retrospect is running. I haven't had much better luck with it enabled but it is worth a shot...

Nate

That's not going to help if, as is likely, DTD has already grabbed thge drive before Retrospect loads.

P.S. I may have askedf this before. Where are the shortcuts such as CTRL + ALT + P + P documented?

Hi Howard,

I don't think they are documented. More than likely this is to keep an already thick user manual from getting any more full. They are intended for use in debugging and support escalations.

There are 2 settings (ASPI and this CD drive setting) that probably should be on the regular settings screen and documented. Other than that there isn't much in there of practical use.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Hi Howard,

I don't think they are documented. More than likely this is to keep an already thick user manual from getting any more full. They are intended for use in debugging and support escalations.

There are 2 settings (ASPI and this CD drive setting) that probably should be on the regular settings screen and documented. Other than that there isn't much in there of practical use.

Thanks

Nate

Not an acceptable answer.

The Retrospect manual is not well done.

A lot of the pages just repeat stuff stated elsewhere in the manual.

So instead of wasting pages on repeating material, better organize the manual, include a better index, and then adf the info that you are hiding from users.

I have not been reading the threads as I have been happily running since uninstalling EM7. I went back to EZ CD Creator 5 which does work. I have not tried to overwrite a Retrospec disk yet, but at least these two will work together.

I killed D2D completely through the task manager. Something else is running as I have Retrospec up, have the device info up, and insert a disk. Something in Roxio is still grabbing the disk and will not let go. Even as I watch Retrospec have the disk, the media is recognized as a Retro backup, I put it away and again check media, everything AOK. In the morning Roxio has got it again, the disk is out and I would have to put the disk away and go through the pain of getting Retrospec to recognize the disk.

If you look at the CD settings there were Roxio D2D all over it, even without the process running. I tried in all settings to not have the selector come up when a disk is inserted, all settings were ignored. This is a Roxio issue.

CDs have been around for a long time, and DVDs even more. You would think both companies would have better software. For the first time most of the XP software plays together fine, this is the first time in a long time I have had to uninstall due to a conflict.

Quote:

I have not been reading the threads as I have been happily running since uninstalling EM7. I went back to EZ CD Creator 5 which does work. I have not tried to overwrite a Retrospec disk yet, but at least these two will work together.

I killed D2D completely through the task manager. Something else is running as I have Retrospec up, have the device info up, and insert a disk. Something in Roxio is still grabbing the disk and will not let go. Even as I watch Retrospec have the disk, the media is recognized as a Retro backup, I put it away and again check media, everything AOK. In the morning Roxio has got it again, the disk is out and I would have to put the disk away and go through the pain of getting Retrospec to recognize the disk.

If you look at the CD settings there were Roxio D2D all over it, even without the process running. I tried in all settings to not have the selector come up when a disk is inserted, all settings were ignored. This is a Roxio issue.

CDs have been around for a long time, and DVDs even more. You would think both companies would have better software. For the first time most of the XP software plays together fine, this is the first time in a long time I have had to uninstall due to a conflict.

It is my opinion that the solution is to:

1. Make sure that you have a clean install of EMC 7, i.e., uninstall the EZCD 5 stuff and then install EMC 7.

2. Do NOT insert media until AFTER you start Retrospect.

3. Do not kil D2D thru the task manager. If you want to stop D2D, use the Exit D2D optiion in the D2D menu before you run Retrospect.

Try the following:

1. Format a disk with D2D.

2. Remove the disk.

3. Insert the disk.

4. Use Windoze EXplorer to see what's on the disk. Thus will likely caudse D2D to grab control of the disk.

5. Start Retrospect.

6. Try to create a new backup set

As expected Retrospect informs that the disk is in use.

7. Close Retrospect.

8. Eject the disk.

9. Re-insert the disk, but do not access the disk in any way.

10 Start Retrospect

11. Try to create a new backup set on the media.

Again Retrospect cannot gain access to the media.

12 Shut Retrospect.

13 Use D2D to erase the disk.

14. Re-insert the disk.

15. Start Retrospect.

16 Try to create a new backup set on the media.

17.Voila! Retrospect ejects the media and allows you to create a backup set.

18. Shut Retrospect.

19. Format the disk.

20 Eject the disk.

21 Start Retrospect.

22. AFTER Retrospect is fully loaded, insert the disk.

23. Try to create a new backup set on the media.

Retrospect still cannot use the media

25. Shut Retrospect.

26. Eject the disk

27. Start Retrospect, but do NOT re-insert the media.

28. Try to create a backup set in Retrospect

29. Now, Retrospect allows you to create the backup set.

30. Do not insert the disk until requested by Retrospect.

OK, that works, but let's try one more time.

31. Shut Retrospect.

32. Erase the disk with D2D.

33. Format the disk with D2D.

34. Eject the disk.

35. Start Retrospect.

36. Do not insert the disk until requested by Retrospect.

37. Create a new backup set for CD/DVD.

38. Insert the media when requested.

39. Retrospect proceeds by first erasing the disk.

Conclusion: If a formatted disk is inserted BEFORE Retrospect is ready to use the disk, then Retrospect cannot access the disk because D2D has grabbed control.

Archived