retrieve folders and files

I need to retrieve a large group of files and folders using Retrospect 5.1 from backup tapes. The resulting "Files Chosen" list has the folder and file structure that I want; but the folders and files actually copied to my hard drive have some of the parent folders missing. The only parent folders missing are the folders with no files but they do have sub folders. All other folders and files are copied as expected. Unfortunately the parent folders that are not retrieved identify the material within, such as client or project.

Is there any cure for this behavior?

Hi

You are trying to restore empty folders right?

In order to do this you need to do a "restore entire disk" restore to a subvolume on the disk. The users guide has information on how to restore empty folders too.

Thanks

Nate

Thanks for looking into this!

I'm not restoring empty folders. There are "nested folders" - that is folders with folders inside and sometimes other folders within that. The second or third level folder has individual files inside and that is the only folder that is retrieved. I can get all these "nested folders" with restore from snapshot, but there are way too many snapshots in these sets for this to be practical.

Any other solutions avaiable?

--John

There are no asterisks in the list. The tapes and backup set members are all OK.

The main problem is that if a folder has only other folders, but no files except those in nested folder; I'll only get the folder with files inside. See original post.

As I said, I can get all the folders on "restore from snapshot" - but I want to retrieve all the files on the tapes (except special folders: System, applications etc.)

Again, thanks for looking into this.

Hi

I think we are not quite on the same page here.

When restoring from a snapshot a "restore entire disk" restore will restore all files and folders to the state they were when you backed them up. Running a restore entire disk restore to a folder that is defined as a subvolume will recreate the directory structure indicated in the shapshot within the restore folder you chose.

You seem to imply that you are not using snapshots to do restores but are searching for folders instead? When you search for a folder in a backup set you may end up excluding parts of it in the restore. It allows you to restore that folder to one point in time, you don't have any control over when that is.

Thanks

Nate

Restore from snapshots is just not practical for the task I have. I am attempting to gather all useful files and folders from a large collection of backup tapes. The project has been going fairly well with the exception of some "parent folders" are not being retrieved.

See the attached screen shots attached. Picture 2 shows the folders and files selected. Picture 1 shows what is actually recovered.

Archived