Determining what was on a missing tape

We run two sets of backups; one an archive of completed jobs files, and the other a daily backup of the entire system. Both sets are kept indefinitely.

We have damaged one of a set of archive tapes (seven tapes in this set), and will mark it as missing in the catalog set.

Does anyone know of an easy way for us to determine which files were lost with that tape so we can attempt to recover them from the daily backups?

The set has about 30 snapshots, and many thousands for files.

Thanks in advance!

(Mac Panther, Retrospect Desktop 5 and 6 are available)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Once a member is set missing any files on that member will show up with a star next to them in Retrospect browser windows. Retrospect knows these files are no longer in the backup set so it will try to back them up the next time a backup runs.

Thanks

Nate

What's happened is - a two year old tape from a set of seven got trashed. When I mark it as missing and go to restore from snapshot, I can't find any stars in any of the snapshot windows. Is there a better place to be looking? (I am familiar with the star symbol, by the way.)

If I could get a list of the lost files, I could recover them from a full backup set from the same time period. - The set with the trashed tape is an archive of specifically copied off files.

Thanks in advance!

Lloyd

Hi

You won't be able to generate a clean list. You can try this though:

Do a "search for files" restore and leave the search criteria blank. In the files chosen window it will list every file that was ever in that set. Anything that was lost will have a star next to it. You may be able to refine the search by searching for backup date.

Nate

Archived