Linux client on SuSE 9

Hi there,

I've just received a copy of Retrospect 6.5, and want to set up the client on a SuSE 9 box we have running here. However, as you can probably guess from my posting here, all is not working as smoothly as I'd hoped...

Regardless of whether I install the client RPM from the command line or via YaST, I get the same problem - the installer gets as far as asking me for the password (twice), and then, after it says "Starting client as daemon..." I get the following error messages -

/usr/local/dantz/client/./rpm-post-install.sh: line 144: /usr/local/dantz/client/rcl: Not a directory

Installation was successful, but Retrospect Client for Linux could not be started. If this is an upgrade, please wait 5 minutes, then start the client manually by running $ /usr/local/dantz/client/rcl start

After clearing this box, I can see that /usr/local/dantz/client/rcl is a link to /etc/rc.d/init.d/rcl, which doesn't exist on my machine. /etc/rc.d/init.d is a file rather than a directory, and is in fact apparently the script that retrospect is trying to call, as far as I can tell from the output of "/etc/rc.d/init.d start" followed by "/etc/rc.d/init.d status".

Is it as simple as this? I haven't got as far as using Retrospect to try and back up the client yet (it's an upgrade version, and the backup using the old version is halfway through running as a I type, so I've got to wait for that), but I'm just trying to get the ball rolling in case the problem is more serious... grin.gif

Many thanks for any advice!

Hi

I have not tried this myself but I think you are going to have trouble installing via rpm. I would use the tarball instead and manually create the directories and links you need. This RPM is designed for RedHat so it may not work with Suse very well.

Nate

Thanks... I think you're right about it not working so well on SuSE, especially since it doesn't seem to uninstall very cleanly... I hope the original /etc/rc.d/init.d (if there was one) wasn't anything too important, since it's been clobbered by the retrospect version...

On the plus side, I've installed the upgrade on the server now, and it seems to find the (installed from tarball, as you suggested) linux client OK...

First backup will run tonight, with a bit of luck wink.gif

Archived