OS 9 server and OS x clients

I'm hoping somebody out there has already tried this and has an answer:

I currently have workgroup running in system 9.1. In the mix of clients are now 2 Macs running OS X. What I've been doing so far to back up the x machines is shut them down, restart in system 9 and then do a shutdown to wait for the backup. (A royal pain in the patootie!)

If I upgrade my clients so that backup is native in X on the X machines, will they work with the workgroup running on System 9? Or, do I have to go all OS X?

Thanks!

When backing up from 4.3, your OS X system data is NOT properly getting backed up.

If you want to properly backup the OS X machines, you can upgrade your Retrospect to the 5.0 Desktop version and upgrade the 4.3 clients to 5.0.

If you are running Mac OS X Server or ASPI Server on the client machines, you would need to upgrade to the Retrospect 5.0 Server version. The Workgroup version only supports the backup of one local server.

5.0 will run on both OS 9.x and OS 10.1.2 (minimum).

Thanks ZakB! I think I'm okay. I upgaded Retrospect Workgroup to ver. 5 on a Mac running OS 9.1. Then I updated all of the various clients. So far all seems to be going well (fingers crossed). The next step is to do a new install on the OS X machines. (None of the clients are on a server so the Retrospect Server software isn't necessary.)

Thanks again!

Archived