Stops Responding when scanning devices?

tdogg4ya

I have Retrospect Desktop 6.5 Pro, and everytime I begin to backup to tape or click manage devices it scans the devices of course. The first device it scans 1:0, is my Seagate Travan STT20000A (latest firmware 8A51) and stops responding. Retrospect freezes and stops responding, and causes other programs to stop responding and even causes Task manager to stop respond when I'm trying to force it to quit! This happens with a tape or no tape in the drive. I'm running windows xp pro (with all updates) and here for a long time I've only been able to do file backups instead of tape backups!!! The only way to recover from this is to force the computer to restart by hitting the hard reset button! I can't use this software with my tape drive! It has worked before, and of course I don't know what has gone wrong, haven't been able to backup to tape since late last year! I've ran Seagate's Diagnostic software, (or should I say Certance) TapeRx 4.5. It passes all read and write tests, and retensions fine. Windows XP Pro recognizes the drive and shows it working properly. Uses window's driver version 5.1.2600.1106

PLEASE HELP! frown.gifconfused.gif

I'm having a similar problem with 6.5 pro when backing up to external hard drives. It stops responding while "preparing to execute" and nothing short of pushing the hardware restart button on the computer will allow me to recover. Dantz Tech Support advised me to turn off the Windows XP "System Restore" function but windows just turns it back on the next time I boot up. I had excellent luck with Retrospect before I started using Windows XP and suspect that there is some fundamental imcompatibility between Retrospect Pro and the Windows XP System Restore function. I'm now trying to use Retrospect in the "Duplicate" mode in hopes that it will not have the same problem. Sorry that I cannot offer much more than sympathy. I'm watching the Dantz site for an announcement on a fix.

For what it may be worth I just completed a full install of Retro 6.5 Pro on a Dell laptop with XP home, made the disaster recovery CD, then removed the HD and substituted a spare drive of similar size and then did a full disaster recovery using the disaster recovery CD I created after the backup. The backup was done to external Firewire drive and the restore was perfect with no reported errors. There was a discrepancy in the size of the used space on the new and old drives but I think that was more of a quirk in reporting than any real error. I intend to call tech support to resolve that issue to my satisfaction but have found some articles in their knowledge base that seem to account for the difference.

So the bottom line is there is not any fundamental imcompatibility between Retrospect Pro and the Windows XP System Restore function, because they worked fine for me. This is addressed more to the response of billa2000, as to the original post I have nothing to offer on the Seagate Travan STT20000A because I do all of my backup work to hard drives either internal or external.

okay guys, I've tried disabling System Restore, but still gives me all the same problems! I can't even create a new backup set because the first thing that does is scan my devices! then it stops responding! Dantz where are you?

If you unplug the drive from the computer and go to Configure>Devices does the problem continue?

If you have any Smart Card readers attached, try removing those also.

Check with the USB or computer vendor to see if any newer versions of of the USB adapter drivers are available too.

Which version of 6.5 are you using?

• 3 months later...

Okay, I figured out the problem, I disconnect every drive and tryed it again, but it still did it. Which was very strange, then I disconnected my other serial ATA drive, leaving my system serial ata only. Then that worked, it seemed to get hanged up on my Serial ATA Drive, its a 250 GB, Western Digital hard drive. Very wierd! Then I noticed in the environment tab you can choose to ignore ids, so I ignored the first couple after my system drive, far away from my other drives and then connected everything back up, and it works.

Now my only problem it getting Retrospect to recognize my DVD Burner!!!

And of course auto-configure doesn't work with my drive and dvd-r!!!

Problems never STOP!

Hi

Sorry if I did not make this clear.

Please tell us exactly what the dvd drive shows up as in configure->devices->environment. We need all of the details please.

Intel provides chipset updates that may be newer that what Alienware has. I have talked to a number of customers who had better luck with those.

Nate

Its really not a alienware anymore, because I've replaced/upgraded everything, including the motherboard, hard drives, video card, ram, everything except power supply.

Remember how I said this above....

"Okay, I figured out the problem, I disconnect every drive and tryed it again, but it still did it. Which was very strange, then I disconnected my other serial ATA drive, leaving my system serial ata only. Then that worked, it seemed to get hanged up on my Serial ATA Drive, its a 250 GB, Western Digital hard drive. Very wierd! Then I noticed in the environment tab you can choose to ignore ids, so I ignored the first couple after my system drive, far away from my other drives and then connected everything back up, and it works."

Well, retrospect seems to forget my preferences it seems like because it doesn't ignore the devices I told it to! So everytime I shutdown and bring it back up I have to open my box again, unplug one of my serial hard drives, then go into retrospect and ignore its location 0:1, then restart and only then I am able to scan the devices successfully without freezing and get the to envionment tab. I think my lite-on drive shows up as LITE-ON DVD-RW.

Is it my bios I need to update, or how do you update a chipset?

Hi

Retrospect will forget any changes you made if it crashes. To make sure it remembers the changes, ignore the devices and quit Retrospect immediately. That will make sure they get written to the preferences.

I would update BIOS and chipset drivers. Chipset drivers are available from the chipset manufacturer (Intel, VIA. Nvidia etc) . Just look at the motherboard to see what you have. The most current chipset driver package from intel was released in May I think.

Thanks

Nate

I did a little bios update, a much needed chipset update, and a little raid controller update, and it fixed it!(device scan no longer stops at 0:1, and shows more information on devices, and all my devices instead of blank spaces!) I will have to retry manual configure my unsupported dvdrw drive in a couple days once I get my dvd-r in. If I can get that to work I'll be all set!!!

Thanks natew!

Archived