Problem since build 6.5.350

Hi,

I've been using Retrospect 6.5 Multi-Server/OpenFileBkup for a while now with my internal VXA-2 (SCSI) tape drive on Windows 2003 Server. Backing up the local server and 2 clients on my LAN (both Windows XP.) No real major problems to speak of. Been through all the updates over time, etc. Pretty much using the default settings for most stuff. Have played around with ASPI vs. SPTI and not noticed much difference in speed or reliability.

Recently I updated to 6.5.350 and have been having nothing but trouble. First my server BSOD'd in the middle of the backup. Next day I recreated the Backup Set from scratch and tried again. No BSOD but the backup failed midway through (as soon as it got to the clients) and the program quit and popped up a strange dialog box that said "Backup terminated unexpectedly and cannot continue" or something like that (foolishly I didn't take a screenshot-- I will post back with the exact message) I tried starting completely over with new media, a new storageset, new script, etc and made sure the client was fully up to date,etc... no luck I cannot get a successful backup now.

The local backup seems to work ok, something has been hosed relating to the network/client communication. My net is a gigabit switched LAN using a cisco switch and Intel 10/100/1000 adapters on the desktops.

any help or advice?? thanks!

Hi

At first glance this sounds like a device communication issue. The funny thing is that 6.5.350 didn't really address device related problems. I would use NTpassthrough for the moment and verify that the windows drivers for the tape drive are disabled in device manager.

What SCSI card do you have? are there any updates available?

Thanks

Nate

Well I am using an LSI logic card (shows up as a 53C1010-66 in DevMgr), with the latest available BIOS. Windows driver for my VXA is disabled. And I have tried both SPTI and ASPI, both are failing equally well :-(

Any other possible ideas??

How can I revert back to the old version? I did not save the installer.

Well the error persists. Actually when this happens, the box will appear, then disappear, then appear again every few minutes. It gets stuck in some sort of endless loop until I reboot the machine.

Here's a screenshot of it that I just took that shows the exact dialog box:

snap064.jpg

However, there has been no power failure, or system crash. Additionally, the log is EMPTY when I re-launch Retrospect, so I have no clues as to specifically what causes this. All I can say is, it happens almost immediately when Retrospect begins to backup the Network Clients. The backup of the local drives works fine. HELP-This is really aggravating!

If you upgraded the existing installation you may wish to do a clean reinstall. (I recall this fixing some problems in the past were the program's 'config' files were corrupted when upgrading,... your call.) You will have to re-apply licensing info and re-make scripts/clients/etc, but it doesn't sound like you have many to do.

Doesn't Dantz support updates for a short period even if you don't have maintenance?

I am having this same problem.

Windows 2000 Server rebooted due to a BSOD crash.

Here's what windows spits:

STOP Error 1

scsiport.sys

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I have an LSI logic scsi and an adaptec cards...

No problem before applying the new 6.5.350 version.

If I manually start a backup to a tape device then the crash occurs.

Any insight?

I have seen windows 2003 systems ship with a bad install of ASPI on the computer. This can cause problems when working with some backup devices.

You can try running he aspiinst.exe installer in the Retrospect folder with will re-install ASPI and it might help make things better.

Mayoff, YOU ARE THE MAN! mango.gif

Problem fixed.

I re-installed the ASPI from the retrospect folder and now things are back to normal again.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Now, if I understand correctly, Retrospect can use NT Passthrough with Win2K. How to I select that option? I can't find a place to select it.

Thanks again!

Archived