(OS X) reading DVD-RAM backup set:

Hi,

I have a DVD-RAM backup set spanning 40-odd sides, created using Retrospect 4.2 under Mac OS 9. I've just upgraded the machine to OS X (10.1.3) and tried to restore from the archive; the requested member DVD-RAM mounts fine on the Finder desktop but Retrospect 5.0 complains "error 204 (device busy)". According to Device Status it's a MATSHITA PD-2 LF-D110 version A110.

Any clues?

Toby

Two things to try:

1) Turn off file sharing on the server. This got me around a problem with using new DVD-RAM media, but it might help you too. Once the media is recognized, you can turn file sharing back on.

2) Try repairing the catalog. R 5.0 doesn't seem to recognize the media at times and this has always worked for me to have the media acceptable for backup again.

Can you test with R 4.3 and see if this is a totally new problem with 5.0?

• 3 weeks later...

1) no file server is involved. Personal File Sharing is off.

2) Repairing the catalogue (under OS 9, of course) makes no difference.

We own version 4.2 but (having subsequently bought upgrade to 5.0) are not interested in 4.3, so can't test under 4.3.

But the "error 204 (device is busy)" error persists whenever we attempt a retrieval under OS X using the DVD-RAM archive...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Irena,

Good suggestion - removing write protection indeed allows retrieval to work on the existing archive, under OS X. As did creating a new archive on new unlocked media. Re-locking the disk prevents retrieval, resulting in the "busy" error as previously described. Naturally, I'd really prefer a way to keep them protected and still retrieve.

Toby

• 3 weeks later...

Archived