"Can't load the configuration, err -641" starting RS65

jishaq

I purchased Retrospect 6.5 Pro to do weekly manual backups of my two office computers (both running Win2k Pro SP3). Both of these computers have the Retrospect Client 6.5.136 on them. I run Retrospect 6.5 server on a Windows 2000 Pro SP3 machine

Things were going fine until I went to launch Retrospect server to begin my backup. Almost immediately after launching RS 6.5.343, right after the splash screen disappears, it throws up a message and fails to launch:

TITLE: Retrospect

MESSAGE: "Can't load the configuration, error -641 (chunk checksum didn't match). (version 0x0000 found, 0x0320 expected)" [OK]

I uninstalled Retrospect 6.5.343, rebooted my server, and downloaded and installed the latest version (6.5.350), and rebooted. I get precisely the same error message.

Please help.

-Jeff Ishaq

Hi

An uninstall of Retrospect does not remove the configuration files. In your case these files are corrupt so the problem persists. To create new configs just rename or delete your old ones located at c:\documents and settings\all users\application data(hidden)\retrospect. You can toss the whole folder or just the config files config65.dat and .bak

The other possibility is that the RDI files located in the same folder are corrupt. You can try trashing those too.

Nate

Oof. Well, the good news is that by getting rid of those files in the folder (I actually just copied them into a temp folder to get them out of the way), I was able to launch Retrospect.

The bad news is, it's prompting me for my purchase code since I installed that upgrade, and I don't seem to have it anywhere. My bad, but looks like I'm a step closer to backup now!

Thanks,

-Jeff Ishaq

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks:

I deleted the config files as suggested in another thread. I am trying to rebuild a catalog; it failed with a checksum error again -->

===

+ Retrospect version 6.5.343

Launched at 5/14/2004 9:07 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 4.9.101

+ Executing Recatalog at 5/14/2004 9:09 AM

To Backup Set Backup Set A...

Backup Set format inconsistency (5 at 488952)

Can't load Snapshot tree, error -641 (chunk checksum didn't match)

5/14/2004 9:24:35 AM: Execution incomplete

Completed: 42507 files, 5.7 GB

Performance: 402.4 MB/minute

Duration: 00:14:55 (00:00:36 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 5/14/2004 11:25 AM

+ Retrospect version 6.5.343

Launched at 5/14/2004 11:28 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 4.9.101

===

Now I have deleted the *.rdi files and will try again. However, focusing on the device files got me to wondering -- I am backing up to a USB Drive; I replaced the CD-RW drive recently, though I cannot remember exactly when. Could such a hardware device change lead to this problem? It seems like a stretch, but I have to ask.

Thanks,

Wayne Scott

Archived