Retrospect Clients Become Unavailable

Versions: Retrospect Workgroup 6.0.193 running under Mac OS 10.3.3 on a DP G5, Retrospect Client 6.0.108 running under Mac OS 10.3.3 and OS 10.2.8 on various G4 machines

Problem: Occasionally (once a month to once a week) certain clients will stop backing up. The only indication this is happening is to notice that the Backup Server screen says ASAP on the next backup, and eventually the client complains that it hasn't been backed up in seven days.

Bringing up the client app, the display says "in use by root" but the server doesn't seem to think so (and there's no other server, and it stays in this state indefinitely.) If you query the client status from the server, the status reports back as "busy."

An attempt to unhang the client by clicking the "off" button or option-"off" changes the client status to "connected", which then persists indefinitely.

The only way to recover is to become root and kill pitond, which results in the status in the client app changing to "not running". Then click the "on" button and it all works again.

The server log entries corresponding to this client appear as follows:

+ Normal backup using Santa Cruz Server at 4/17/2004 6:35

To backup set Santa Cruz Server…

- 4/17/2004 6:35:03: Copying Santa Cruz Server on Santa Cruz Server…

4/17/2004 6:35:03: Connected to Santa Cruz Server

4/17/2004 7:19:59: Comparing Santa Cruz Server on Santa Cruz Server…

4/17/2004 7:20:09: Execution completed successfully.

Completed: 22 files, 7915 KB, with 0% compression

Performance: 4.5 MB/minute (2.3 copy, 46.3 compare)

Duration: 00:45:06 (00:41:42 idle/loading/preparing)

+ Normal backup using Santa Cruz Server at 4/18/2004 9:16

To backup set Santa Cruz Server…

Can't access volume Santa Cruz Server on Santa Cruz Server, error -1028 (client is not visible on network).

4/18/2004 9:16:21: Execution incomplete.

The log window on the client shows the last successful backup (the 4/17 run in this case) as the last entry in the window, with no mention of the 4/18 attempt. The server log shows no entries after the above entry (no indications of successive attempts.) The backup started as soon as I killed and restarted pitond on the client.

Other times when this has happened the server log showed a 505 error as the last entry for the wayward clients.

It looks like pitond is left in a state where it thinks it has an active connection, even though that connection is long gone (does it use TCP keepalives? It should!)

This happens often enough so that I need to manually check the server every couple of days lest my backups grind to a halt. Manually intervening for the significant number of clients I operate is painful (and unacceptable.)

Anybody else see this? Dantz, if you need any more information, please feel free to contact me here or by email.

A couple of comments:

1) The modifier key to force-stop the client is holding down Command while clicking the Off button. (You said Option, which might be a typo, or might explain why it did not work as well as expected!)

2) When I see a client hang and show still active, it has always been because the server crashed or I got a network error during the backup. (Like the 505 errors you have seen.)

Archived