Intermittent error with Solaris client

I installed glib 1.2 and Retro client on Solaris 9. I understand that it's not officially supported, but maybe some Solaris guru will be able to give me a push in the right direction here:

I have an intermittent problem which causes a -519 error when backing up the client to myWin2K Retrospect server. In var/adm/messages, I get

Retrospect[184]: [iD 837007 daemon.error] connTCPConnection: non-stream packet too large: 1885536268

This happens part way through the backup of my /usr partition, and last long enough that after /usr fails /var can't get started and fails also. If I restart the

I am wondering if anyone knows why this error appears and what I might do about it?

Sorry about that! Here's the rest of the sentence:

... backup it goes fine the rest of the way.

I am going to set up a sniffer to monitor the connection and maybe I'll catch something.

By the way, both times it happened (2 out of 4 backups) the number at the end of the message was the same. No clue what that message means...does someone know?

The server is a DNS server with not a lot of anything else going on. When it happens it's on the /usr partition, but it wasn't in the same place (i.e. not the same amount of data had been copied so it wasn't likely the same file. The only big file there was that I tarred /usr/local/lib just in case that old 1.2 version of glib broke something. Don't know how big it was, it's gone now. /export has some bigger files, but no problems backing it up.

Any clue what the message means? What is the number at the end?

So here's a question: What is the purpose of the symbolic link rcl in the client directory? The reason I'm asking is, when I first installed the retro client, I moved the S99retro script from rc3.d to rc2.d. It's just part of our security policy that we don't use rc3.d.

When I discovered that link, I remade it to the proper target location. Since then I have had no problems. Is it coincidence or something else?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived