Interpreting the significance of errors

From what I (a Professional Edition user for the past 3-wks) am experiencing, it seems that encountering backup errors is a likely event. Some may be of a serious nature, while others are rather benign.

So considering Dantz's extensive knowledge on the subject, why not color-code the reported error number and description either red or green to simply indicate whether or not that particular error is likely to result in a corrupt (or missing) file/folder if relied upon during a restore operation?

doh.gif - 'snap out of it'

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can not accept that. Certainly, Retrospect's support group and their very knowledgeable forum moderators have a deep understanding as to the significance of errors.

The fact that Retrospect will identify and log every inconsequential error (in addition to meaningful errors) becomes a major problem. For the average user, this becomes a very confusing matter and thus greatly deminishes confidence in the integrity of the backup!

Error messages can be referenced in the online Knowledgebase along with appropriate troubleshooting:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=knowledgebase

Retrospect has no way of knowing what each and every file is on your computer and what it's significance is to your system as a whole. There are some errors, such as different modification date/time errors which are typically inconsequential to most - but for some people these may be major issues depending on which files the error was generated.

The Knowledgebase will educate you on what the errors mean, but it is up to the end user to determine whether or not the errors are important based on the circumstances.

Quote:

I can not accept that. Certainly, Retrospect's support group and their very knowledgeable forum moderators have a deep understanding as to the significance of errors.

The fact that Retrospect will identify and log every inconsequential error (in addition to meaningful errors) becomes a major problem. For the average user, this becomes a very confusing matter and thus greatly deminishes confidence in the integrity of the backup!

Retrospect cannot know why a file has changed, just that the file has changed.

There are certain commonly used apps, e.g., scanner software, that are known to change files, but Retrospect cannot know why such files have changed.

If a system has ANY software running, such as scanner software or SQL server or ..., while Retrospect is running, such errors are going to be reported.

In many cases, such as the crap scanner software I am using, there is NO reason for a file to have changed, but the file does get changed and there's no way for Retrospect to know why

Dantz cannot be responsible for knowing what ALL other apps do.

The same problem will occur with any backup software that does a compare, not just Retrospect.

• 3 months later...

Seems to me that the point is not to interpret whether the ~84920.tmp file is more or less critical than msdos.sys, but whether an error -206 is more or less critical than an error -1020. For example, I got an error -206 yesterday, and now I do not know whether my backup set is still usable or entirely corrupt. I cannot find that information anywhere.

Quote:

Seems to me that the point is not to interpret whether the ~84920.tmp file is more or less critical than msdos.sys, but whether an error -206 is more or less critical than an error -1020. For example, I got an error -206 yesterday, and now I do not know whether my backup set is still usable or entirely corrupt. I cannot find that information anywhere.

Error 206 is more serious than 1020.

Error 206 means "drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc."

If disk drive is the critter, first thing to do is to download the diagnostics from the drive manufacturer's web site. Next download the Hitachi drive fitness test..

Archived