Backing Up w/ Selectors

Hello. I am trying to back up a network of two Macs (a G4 and a PPC 7500, communicating via Ethernet) using an APS Hyper DAT III and a firewire connection. I am launching Retrospect from the G4 (O/S 9.2), and have no problem backing up the two computers when I select "All Files". However, when I choose the selector Hot Items only, the program does not recognize any media in the drive, even though a tape is in the drive. That's my first problem. Another problem is backing up the networked PPC 7500. When I go to back up both computers, Retrospect recognizes that it only has to back up recently added or modified files on the G4, while when it gets to the PPC 7500, it treats the drive as if it's never been backed up before and starts backing up all files as if for the first time. I would very much appreciate any solutions anyone might have. Thank you - Todd

• 4 weeks later...

The Selectors are completely unrelated to the device scan and shouldn't have any impact on seeing the tape drive. Are you seeing this behavior in an Automated Backup? Go to Automate > Scripts and Edit the script that you are using. Under Destinations, does the icon next to the backup set look like a tape? Or does is look like CD's or floppy disks? It sounds like you may have created the wrong type of Backup Set, so when the script (or Immediate Backup) starts, Retrospect is not looking for a tape drive. If you created a Removable Disk Backup Set, for example, when the script kicks in Retrospect will look for Removable Disk drives, not tape drives.

Matching is the scheme for comparing file attributes to determine whether files are identical, which then allows intelligent copying to avoid redundancy. If one of the criteria has been changed, Retrospect will back up the file again. On a Mac, Retrospect looks at name, size, type, creator, creation date and time, modify date and time, and label. Utility programs, such as TechTools and Norton, can modify file dates. Either the system or another program is altering one or more of the criteria that Retrospect matches against.

If the 7500 is getting backed up as a mounted drive, the following TechNote may provide more helpful information as to why the data is changing:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=knowledgebase_article&id=232

Archived