wish: run the server without login

I'm in the process of moving my backup/web servers to OS X from 9 and Linux respectively, running on an old and unsupported Umax S900. So far so good, Workgroup 5 seems happy & the DLT drive works.

Has there been any consideration of the possibility of running the Retrospect app as a faceless daemon in OS X, executing predefined scripts & schedules, without requiring a login? So all that CPU-sucking Aqua GUI need not be running on the server? Just a thought...

John Pitcairn

Retrospect _can_ run backup scripts behind the Login screen. Not as nice as a combination of a daemon and a separate configuration application, but it does allow for a greater level of security by leaving your machines logged out and still running scripts.

Works OK, but doesn't get rid of the Aqua overhead.

Dave

Do you have to have a normal scheduled backup script in order for it to run in the background, or can you use the Backup Server Script? I only use the Backup Server script as machines come on & off the network throughout the 24 hour day. In 9, since there is no login, this worked fine. In X, it doesn't seem to ever start the backup server on its own when no user is logged in. Do I need to create a dummy script so that the application starts & then begins the Backup Server after starting the app?

• 6 months later...

I seem to be having trouble even before this point. I'm running OS X Server 10.1.5 and Retrospect server 5.0.236 with one backup script always active (laptops) and one run at off hours (desktops). It just goes against my newly acquired unixish grain to leave an admin user logged into the console when I leave, but if I quit Retrospect and agree to all the warning dialogues, the disc (DVD in built-in drive on a G4 tower one generation or so old) ejects. I tried logging out and then pushing it back in, but it ejected again 5min later... Is this a user error on my part, or is running in the background happily something that they're working on?

When you quit Retrospect, the Mac OS X finder attempts to load a DVD driver. If the drive contains a Retrospect created DVD, it will be ejected as the Retrospect driver unloads and the finder driver loads as part of the quit process.

To avoid this problem, leave Retrospect open in the background prior to scheduled backups.

Unfortunatley, this will prevent you from logging out and using DVD as a backup method. You may want to consider using a password protected screen saver, which will allow you to leave Retrospect running, while still providing a measure of security.

Archived