All Databased not being backed up

jallman

I have just started trying to use the SQL Server Agent option. I have installed the client, and can see the SQL Containers. There are about 40 databases on the SQL Server. When I run a backup of the server, it never backs them all up. If I go into the volumes view, some of the databases show as 0KB (Which is incorrect). The first time I ran the job, 1 backed up. The second time, 2 backed up. After restarting the server, 11 of the 40 backed up. What would be causing some databases not to back up when I select the backup of the entire SQL Server?

• 1 month later...

Sorry it has been a while. I am back to this issue now, is still happening. Configure-Volumes shows all the databases. I have the "login as" set to the service account that SQL is running as. The SQL Server is a remove client to thte backup server, also.

I just retried this, it got 15 this time. It gets a different number of them almost every time I run the backup, but never more than 20.

Hi

Just to make sure we have covered the basics:

Are you running Retrospect 6.5.350 with Driver update 5.0 or higher? Is the SQL server local or a client? Does this happen if you manually select databases for backup? (ie is it a problem with Retrospect resolving the container?) What OS and SQL version are you using?

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Hi

Just to make sure we have covered the basics:

Are you running Retrospect 6.5.350 with Driver update 5.0 or higher?

The retrospect server version is 6.5.336, not sure on the driver update, the file version of the rdu.rpx file is 4.5.101.0

Quote:

Is the SQL server local or a client?

Its a client. The client version is 6.5.131

Quote:

Does this happen if you manually select databases for backup? (ie is it a problem with Retrospect resolving the container?)

It appears to be a problem with the container resolution. When I manually select them, it seems to work

Quote:

What OS and SQL version are you using?

The Retrospect Server is running on Windows 2003 Server Standard

The SQL Server is running on Windows 2003 Server Enterpprise, SQL 2000 Standard SP3A

I will download the update to retrospect and the driver update, and see if that makes any difference.

Quote:

I will download the update to retrospect and the driver update, and see if that makes any difference.

This did not help, When I select the SQL Server as the backup source, it resolved 24 of the 42 databases this time.

The script also sites at "Preparing to execute" for a good 2 minutes before it starts backing up the first database, not sure if this is normal behavior or not. When I selected each of the individual databases as the source, the script started running much sooner it seemed.

Tried this, no difference. Am I loosing anything if I just select all the databases manually, granted it would be easier to select the entire server, but that doesnt appear to work. We are switching to retrospect to back up the database under the advice of a consultant. We currently back up just using SQL Scripts, but we are now a 24/7 Operation, and our ERP Program has simultaneous connections to different databases on the same SQL Server, and one transaction thru the front end of the program may change 2 databases on the server, so we need to use a backup agent now to ensure that it keeps track of all the changes on all the databases, and gets 1 "snapshot in time" if you will of all the databases together. Retrospect said it would do this, I just want to make sure that I am not loosing this functionality by selecting each database individually.

Hi there

I have been experiencing a similar problem with one of my SBS2003 machines.

I discovered that an application was already open locally on the server and already logged in to the sql server using a very specific sql user account. this was blocking retrospect from accessing the databases.

hope this helps

ali

• 1 month later...

I am having the same exact problem. I just stumbled across this issue today. Apparently it has been happening for as long as we have been running Retrospect 6.5 Multi Server Edition. Luckily, I notice this behavior before a restore was needed.

The issue is that the Retrospect SQL Server Agent is not backing up all the databases when the SQL Server Container is selected as the "Source". Instead the backup agent only detects a random number of databases each time. Sometimes it detects 12 other times 14 other times 20 ... however we have 45 databases on the SQL Server. By the way, it seems to detect them in alphabetical order. In other words, it detects them from A -to- L but nothing after that. (note: the end point is not always L, but is random)

Using the Volumes explorer tool in the Retrospect configuration section, I am able to expand out the SQL Server container and see all 45 databases on the SQL Server. I don't understand why the backup agent does not detect them all when it goes to do a backup. Why is it detecting a random number of databases each time? Why is it only detecting the first couple in alphabetical order?

We am running the following versions:

Retrospect 6.5.350 Multi Server

Retrospect Client 6.5.136

Retrospect Driver Update 5.1

Retrospect SQL Server Agent

Windows 2000 Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2000

Active Directory Domain

Retrospect Server is running on a deferent machine than the Microsoft SQL Server. Both machines are running Windows 2000 Server. Microsoft SQL Server is running in Windows Authentication Mode. Retrospect is configured to use an Active Directory domain user account with full access to the SQL Server installation. The backup script that I am running is configured to do a “Full Database” backup.

As a temporary work around, I manually selected each individual database (all 45 of them) as the backup "Source". When I do this, the backup works correctly. This is not ideal because each time a database is added to the SQL Server we have to remember to update the backup script. I would like to be able to select the SQL Server container only and have it backup all the databases automatically.

Have you folks found a resolution to this issue? Have you been able to replicate it in your test environment?

Regards,

Pedro

We have the same problem, the SQL container will always return a variable number of objects to backup. We have to identify and backup each database. I assumed that it was a feature of the software, much like you can define what volumes are backed up when you identify the client as the source. I don't like it, but there it is...

Good luck,

Bill

natew thanks for the reply. The user account I have set up for Retrospect to use in connecting to the database service is configured as a "System Administrator" in Microsoft SQL Server. This is the highest privelaged user in Microsoft SQL Server. The system admin privelage has the right to do everything in SQL Server.

When you said "logging into the SQL databases as a different user like the "DBS"" what did you mean by that? I am not familiar with the "DBS" notation.

Thanks for your help.

Hi

Sorry about that - too many posts in one day...

The forum user named "BDS" was going to try creating a different user account to log in. In some cases that can help resolve these types of problems. Can you create a "Retrospect" user and use that to run the backups?

Thanks

Nate

Hi

I think that is part of the problem. We are still actively investigating this but don't have anything conclusive yet.

Did you use the default instance of SQL during install or a custom instance?

It is possible that not having the default instance of SQL could prevent Retrospect from seeing additional installs of SQL on the computer.

Thanks

Nate

• 2 years later...

I see the last post is quite old, has the issue been resolved?

I am getting the same problem - a variable number of databases is resolved/backed up.

Running v7.5.285, Driver update and Hot Fix, v 7.5.5.103

I realise there is a later version but as a result of a previous error I rolled back to .285 (http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=multiserver&Number=75378&fpart=&PHPSESSID=)

Cheers

Alistair

Archived